Occasional Vomiting

About three weeks ago, Chili vomited some undigested food. Four days later she vomited a small amount of stomach acid and bile as she had not eaten yet. Just last night (about another week and a half after the second episode) she vomited more undigested food. Other than these vomiting episodes she is playful, eating and drinking well, and her bowel movements are normal. I bought her some sensitive stomach food after her second vomiting episode. When I hold her it feels like she regurgitates sometimes because I feel her stomach muscle contract one time, then she swallows after that. I don't really know what is going on at this point. I think she may have a nervous stomach, but I've tried all sorts of things to help calm her nerves. I'm not really sure what I should do to help her. Any suggestions?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
CAts often vomit (mine does) when he eats to fast, and then the unchewed, undigested food is there for me to clean up..usually right in front of the front door oh boy ain't I lucky. I have seen many dogs vomit bile when their stomach has been empty eg fasting for a surgery. Switched the stupid (he reallllly is) cat to different foods and found one that either he has a harder time swallowing whole or maybe it just taste better and he chews. Mary dog has a nervous stomach, but she usually heads for plant matter to settle her problem. If the food that is being reguritated isn't chewed up, I would watch how he is eating it, and maybe slow it down a bit..just an idea

joce

My dobe does it when he scarfs down his food without chewing. I try to get him to eat slower by giving him a little at a time but it doesn't always work. I think he does it mostly when he hears the other dogs eating. He thinks he has to finish first! My corgi also does it ocassionally if she gets all excited after eating. Maybe just by feeding in a quiet area that would help. I've heard that softening the food helps but I've never tried it.

She probably does eat fast because when we give her treats or table food (VERY little) she always scarfs them down without really chewing. She has to bite her kibble, though, into smaller bits so that she can swallow them but that doesn't mean she chews it well enough.

Sounds like that's the likely culprit. You'll probably have to experiment with getting her to slow down, and in the end, it may just come down to her getting older and wiser . . .

Blondie

Blondie vomited some stomach acid and bile yesterday before eating, and I've heard that it's normal for dogs to get sick sometimes. However I'm sure it has to do with his Ehrlichia, because he just went through a month-long cycle of taking 2 pills of Doxycycline a day and as soon as the cycle finished, he started having chills and fever again. :( I hope Chili's just having normal spells! Did you visit the vet?

Members online

No members online now.