Got a great RAW deal and im excited :) plus some questions

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I went up to the butcher at the local supermarket, i thought i wouldnt get anywhere because its such a big store but i figured why not and talked to him about RAW and asked if he had anything extra or w/e he could give me

He said the market only allows meat to be on sale for a certain time, but thats its good for way after that and he keeps some but MOST gets thrown away that doesnt sell and that he could give me for a GREAT low price

I got 5 pounds of ground beef for $2!
and a HUGE bag of like 20 chicken backs and quarters for only $3!
a bag of turkey necks for free :)
and a couple of pounds of buffalo for like $6
and 2 whole rabbits for free

Luckily we have a new drop in freezer!! lol

now for some questions:

-How long should i keep all this before throwing it away? Kenya cant eat all that quickly, shes only 50 pounds

- Is ok to let Kenya eat outside, she loves eating her chicken outside.. but fairly often she eats in the grass and the chicken gets dirty before she eats it

- Is giving her rabbit a good idea? its a good weight, but i dunno..

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well if you have a freezer just freeze it and then take it out as its needed. What a great deal!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well if you have a freezer just freeze it and then take it out as its needed. What a great deal!
It wont go bad in there? lol i thought meat had like a certain time it could be in the freezer before it went bad and was no longer edible

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Uhm, then I've been a horrible dog owner :)p ) because I buy enough meat to last for months. The Three B's certainly do no complaining and they are just as healthy as ever.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
lol good then :) i have no idea about meat so you're probably right lol im a college kid, ramen noodles and chef boyardee and pretty much the extent of my "cooking skills" lol

Im not sure about the rabbits tho..Wolves eat rabbits so i guess it'll be ok lol

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I bought my crew rabbits and they turned their noses up, but I know plenty of other dogs that love them. :)

Dekka

Just try me..
Meat doesn't go 'bad' in a freezer. It can get freezer burn though. Dogs don't care about freezer burn :D

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yup, I think I've had a Beef Liver in the chest freezer for over a year :eek: It's not freezer burnt or anything.

With chicken or turkey I buy from the store, I've left it bagged up in the freezer for over 6 months I think.

AnitaF

WOW!!! You struck gold! I got ripped off on chicken backs the other day and paid $107.00 for a 40-pound box (2.69/pound). It turned out that it was supposed to be .69/pound and we got around $82.00 back today but, still, you did way better!

Did you go to a grocery chain like a big-name grocery store or to an independently owned store? I went to an independently own store, and I think their prices are a bit high, and they told my husband that they don't ever mark their meat down because they use it in their deli before it goes out of date.

About some of your questions, I've read about other dog owners who feed their dogs rabbit and even pheasant, deer, etc. Some dog owners get their meat from people who are cleaning out their freezers and throwing away outdated stuff, so I guess the date doesn't matter to dogs.

I just started feeding my dogs raw today and I fed them on the porch because they like to take their food out of the bowls and, sure enough, that's what they did. It would have made a big mess in the house.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat

It was a huge big name grocery store

AnitaF

I wish I had your nerve to ask a butcher at a big name grocery store about a deal on meat. I may get the nerve if I get tired of getting ripped off! I'm a shy person and hate to be rejected by people, so I'm a little nervous to ask a butcher for a favor. I'm trying to work up my nerve, though. Raw feeding can get expensive if you have to get your meat where I'm getting mine, so I need to do something.

Members online

No members online now.