best foor for puppy?

Hi everyone, I'm getting a new puppy this weekend, and am wondering what is the best food for it? I did some searches, but mostly found threads on RAW diet, and many others were quite old. I don't think I will be able to do the raw right now, because it seems the cost is far greater than standard kibbles, etc.. and it does seem a bit daunting to make the switch, not to mention I don't have the money or space for a dedicated freezer. Anyway, what is the best food for a young puppy, are there any cost effective, premade foods that are comparable in nutrition to raw?

Thanks in advance, John K

*Amy*

Innova Puppy is a good kibble for a puppy.. make sure you transition him from what he's eating now to the new food, though so you don't take the chance of upsetting his tummy.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Taste of the Wild is very popular around here because it's a decently priced grainfree food. I agree that you should start with what the pup is used to before you wean it onto another food because an upset puppy stomach can lead to a very messy crate.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
What breed is the puppy? A Rhodesian Ridgeback, I'm guessing? ;)

Personally, I would feed a premium all life stages or adult kibble to a medium/large puppy. Puppy food isn't necessary and can often be detrimental, by encouraging rapid growth. You want your pup to grow up slowly, gradually, and you want to keep them lean so that there isn't any extra pressure on their joints.

I recommend either low-grain or grain-free foods, like any of the Natura kibbles, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, etc. If you can afford it, I highly recommend The Honest Kitchen. It's a dehydrated food, and pretty much as close to raw as you can get... they're also SUPER easy to supplement with raw meat. There are also pre-made raw blends (Bravo, Nature's Variety, Primal, etc) if you want to feed raw, but aren't ready to prepare your own.

Yup its going to be a Rhodesian Ridgeback, I'm picking him/her up tomorrow (SOO excited!)

Thanks for the help all. I don't know why, but keeping it on the food its already on hadn't even crossed my mind:confused: Ive been doing so much research and reading about temperament, breeders, size, activity level and things like that, I hadn't even thought about its food! Anyway, Ill just keep it simple for a while and stick with what the breeder is using!

Members online

No members online now.