Home cooked diet questions.

I started one of the dogs on home cooked. He has recently been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. We tried Natural Balance Potato & Duck which has 10% fat and no good, he still had episodes. Vet suggested prescription food or homemade and photocopied some recipes from a book by Hilary's Blend.

We've decided to go the home cooked before doing the prescription and went for the blandest recipe to start with. I'm just concerned I didn't do it right. Does anyone have experience in doing this type of diet?

This is the recipe:

1 tsp cod liver oil
1/2 tsp safflower oil
470g chicken breast
3 3/4 cups brown rice
2 scoops Hilary's Blend supplement

Poach chicken, dice finely. Prepare rice according to package to yield 3 3/4 cups of cooked rice. Sprinkle Hilary's Blend on rice and mix all ingredients together.

A dog his size (40lbs) gets 653g of food a day. It adds up the total number of grams of food on one side of the page once it's cooked to 1000g If he's getting 653g a day shouldn't this have made only a day and a bit worth of food? When I portioned it out I had 3 days worth of food. And there was a heck of a lot of rice!

I added in the cod liver oil and safflower oil into the big bowl and mixed it in all together but it doesn't seem like it would mix evenly? Should I be adding those to each portion? Did I misunderstand? I don't know if I'm over thinking this or what but it's stressing me out and ALMOST making me want to suck it up and do the prescription food.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Sounds complicated!!!! Have you thought about feeding raw lean meat and bones?

Raw is not an option. We stopped doing full time raw awhile ago as the price and limited supply makes it too difficult/expensive. I'm rural and don't have a lot of options, grocery store or the local butcher which is just as expensive if not more than the grocery store. We don't buy a lot of meat for ourselves due to the ridiculous price.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
I started one of the dogs on home cooked. He has recently been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. We tried Natural Balance Potato & Duck which has 10% fat and no good, he still had episodes. Vet suggested prescription food or homemade and photocopied some recipes from a book by Hilary's Blend.

We've decided to go the home cooked before doing the prescription and went for the blandest recipe to start with. I'm just concerned I didn't do it right. Does anyone have experience in doing this type of diet?

This is the recipe:

1 tsp cod liver oil
1/2 tsp safflower oil
470g chicken breast
3 3/4 cups brown rice
2 scoops Hilary's Blend supplement

Poach chicken, dice finely. Prepare rice according to package to yield 3 3/4 cups of cooked rice. Sprinkle Hilary's Blend on rice and mix all ingredients together.

A dog his size (40lbs) gets 653g of food a day. It adds up the total number of grams of food on one side of the page once it's cooked to 1000g If he's getting 653g a day shouldn't this have made only a day and a bit worth of food? When I portioned it out I had 3 days worth of food. And there was a heck of a lot of rice!

I added in the cod liver oil and safflower oil into the big bowl and mixed it in all together but it doesn't seem like it would mix evenly? Should I be adding those to each portion? Did I misunderstand? I don't know if I'm over thinking this or what but it's stressing me out and ALMOST making me want to suck it up and do the prescription food.
Cod liver oil is super high in vit. A. So high I wouldn't give it every meal. And safflower oil is just plain low quality. Oil is needed for omegas, but go with a quality oil like salmon oil. Rice is a grain and a dog has no biological need for grains.

I have no idea about the supplement, but you will need something that is pretty much all inclusive with a homecooked diet. Everything you cook is going to be lacking majority of the nutrients through the cooking process. That's why kibble has so much added stuff back in. Being in a rural area, you would be better off to contact farmers and run some local ads for meat/scraps and go raw.

I'm sorry guys but raw is not an option. We did consider it but we have to be reasonable. We have tried in the past and it just doesn't work here. I would if I could, honestly but not an option were we are living. We do incorporate raw turkey necks when we can.

There are a couple of online resources where a nutritionist will formulate a recipe for you for a home cooked diet. I think (and this is right off the top of my head) the are balanceit.com and petdiets.com. I think there is a one-time fee for the recipes.

Interesting I'll have to look into those sites.

What about an all canned diet? I had a client of mine suggest it, she has a small mix so it's likely not that pricey for her but her dog is also pancreatic and that's what has worked well for him.

JacksonsMom

There are a couple of online resources where a nutritionist will formulate a recipe for you for a home cooked diet. I think (and this is right off the top of my head) the are balanceit.com and petdiets.com. I think there is a one-time fee for the recipes.
This one ^^ is the best one, IMO. LOTS of yorkies eat homecooked meals with these. I'm considering it actually. Been checking the Balance It website for recipes for a while now. You can generate free recipes (for healthy dogs) but the supplement cost about $50, I believe. For a small dog though, that will last you a long time.

I absolutely wouldn't trust going raw for a pancreatic-prone dog personally. Raw would not be an option for me either. Too risky. For those who haven't dealt with chronic pancreatitis, it can be extremely hard on a dog. You often don't even know exactly what sets them off.

If I do canned TOTW Pacific Stream and Wetlands seems to be the lowest with 31 and 34 GFK. They consider ideal low fat to be below 25 GFK

tucksmom

I Don't see where the calcium is coming from in this recipe. I don't think your multivitamin will provide enough, but I am not familiar with it either. I have Dr. Karen Beckers cookbook, it is great if you are looking to find balance in each meal. I also have Dinner Pawsible which I also love and it is more focused on balance over time. Like the others I am also a huge balanceit fan. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these options but I would avoid regularly using random recipes found on the internet. I think random meals do not hurt on occasion but for the majority of the time I believe taking the direction of an expert is best.

Members online

No members online now.