Harness??

zeekee

Is it ok for my dog to wear his harness everyday without removing it? I find it hard to make my dog wear his harness every single.

lizzybeth727

It's ok, yeah, but most people probably choose to take it off and only put it on when they need to.

The main problem with leaving it on all the time is that it could rub your dog's skin raw in the sensitive places it touches, such as under the arms and on the chest. Wearing it for a little while wouldn't be a problem, but wearing it for days on end - particularly sleeping in it - could start irritating his skin.

The other problem is that many dogs can figure out how to chew it off. They can easily reach the straps with their mouth, and if they get bored or uncomfortable they might decide to take care of it. At work I've lost so many harnesses from dogs chewing them off, that I just automatically assume that every dog will chew it off if left unattended.

zeekee

He wears the harness but i made sure that there's enough space for the harness and his skin to breathe in so i think its ok for my dog to wear it everyday.

Kimbers

For the reasons lizzybeth mentioned, I'd just as soon take it off. It takes, what, twenty seconds to put on and take off? Plus, more comfortable dog and a longer harness life.

On a side note, I know my dog often gets her harness straps caught on the handles of furniture.

SarahHound

The collie I look after wears his harness 24/7 at his own house. It doesn't seem to bother him much. I take it off him when he is here as I don't like the risk of one of the other dogs catching it while they are playing. I think its OK if the dog isn't likely to get caught on anything, although I personally wouldn't keep a harness on permanently.

Members online

No members online now.