Moving - where to keep dogs at new house?

teedub

I have two, un-neutered male dogs (Pomeranian & Miniature Dachshund). In their current living situation, there is always someone to watch over them and let them outside. I will, unfortunately, be moving in with my parents in a not so friendly small dog household. They will mark (pee) inside if left unsupervised. The other issue here is that although my father is retired and usually at home, the last thing he wants to do is watch these two pups.

Training them to do otherwise or neutering them is not in the books right now. So, I'm looking at crating them while I'm away for work/school.

I will be gone for 6-8, possibly even 10 hours a day. The good part about that is I'd be home before 1 or 2 in the afternoon to let them out. Because of this, I've looked at possibly getting a large size crate and dividing it into two. That way they'll have plenty of room.

Advice? Are there any flaws in doing this? The pom is 7 1/2 and the Dach is 4 1/2 y/o.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Will someone be letting them out during the day? 10 hours is a long time for a small dog to go without having a potty break. Will your dad or a dog walker be able to do this?

Also, why not try and train them not to mark or try neutering them?

xpaeanx

Will someone be letting them out during the day? 10 hours is a long time for a small dog to go without having a potty break. Will your dad or a dog walker be able to do this?

Also, why not try and train them not to mark or try neutering them?
wait, I thought she'd be back for a mid day break(1-2pm).... so wouldn't the dogs go out 3 times? 1 in am, 1 in afternoon, 1 at night?

"litterbox" training may be a good idea for going potty too...

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
wait, I thought she'd be back for a mid day break(1-2pm).... so wouldn't the dogs go out 3 times? 1 in am, 1 in afternoon, 1 at night?

"litterbox" training may be a good idea for going potty too...
oh I didnt get that, oops... that would be enough then.

teedub

I'm not neutering them, and do to a busy schedule and the stress of a family issue, I do not have the time to devote to a steady training regime at this time.

Yes, they will be going out at around 430 in the morning, put into the crate until 12 to 2 pm and let out for the rest of the day while I'm home.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Do you mind my asking why neutering is not an option? If it's not, crating or having a dog sitter are going to pretty much be your only options. Haven't tried litter box training with a pup, so I'm no help there.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I guess I am confused as to why they cant get neutered.

they obviously are beyond the age where health would be a concern, they arent working dogs where drive is of any concern..

teedub

I may have the Dachshund neutered, but my pom is going to be 8y/o this December. I see no reason to put him through the stress of a medical procedure to have a 60% chance that he'll stop marking. The other reason I don't want him running around the house while I'm gone is because like most small dogs, he yaps... a lot. That wouldn't sit well with the dad.

Lolas Dad

Neutering has many benefits besides the unplanned puppies that can be produced. It lowers the risk of testicular cancer, helps with marking issues and calms dogs down a bit so maybe he wont yap so much anymore and live longer. If it is not a show dog then there is no reason not to neuter.

xpaeanx

Neutering has many benefits besides the unplanned puppies that can be produced. It lowers the risk of testicular cancer, helps with marking issues and calms dogs down a bit so maybe he wont yap so much anymore and live longer. If it is not a show dog then there is no reason not to neuter.
There ARE medical reasons not to neuter. I really hate it when people make it sound like neutering is the ONLY option when owning a dog. Please read below:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

teedub

And there are those who think differently, which brings it up as a long debated topic that I'm not willing to get into.

eta: nevermind, looks like you already threw the shat to the fan.

Lolas Dad

Having a neutered dog or spayed dog increases Obesity?. That is laughable at least. Obesity is caused in dogs by their owners simply indulging their dogs by allowing them to eat to much plain and simple. The same reason why people are obese. Lola was 10.4 pounds and over a year old before she was spayed and is now a whopping 10.0 pounds.

For that reason I would have to say that study is flawed.

And no neutering is not the only option. But it is a better option than doing nothing.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
And no neutering is not the only option. But it is a better option than doing nothing.
:hail:

There are plenty of people who choose to keep their dogs intact but they should only do it if they are responsible enough to train their dogs.

I see no reason for an irresponsible owner to have an intact dog.

Most small dogs do not yap... untrained small dogs yap.

You do not want advice, you want someone to pat you on the back and tell you it is okay to crate your dog for 10 hours. Sure lots of people do it, your dog will survive, there you go!

A better alternative would be to train them so they dont pee everywhere and bark all day long, then maybe they could spend more time outside the crate then in it.

xpaeanx

I agree that an irresponsible owner should not own an intact dog. And yes, training is a must if you plan too.

BUT I was commenting on the post making it sound like the only option, and not if the op should or shouldn't.

And no, obesity is no laughable. While a lot of obesity is from over eating, a lot is ALSO due to hormonal imbalance(just like in people). When you neuter a dog you throw off their testosterone levels.

Lolas Dad

The testosterone levels may be thrown off but that can be offset by how much food you feed a dog. If you see your dog gaining to much weight then cut back on the food and treats and give more exercise. So I am still not convinced that obesity in a dog is caused by spaying or neutering.

xpaeanx

Obviously you've never known anyone with hormonal imbalance caused obesity. They could end up having to eat so little that they don't get enough nutrients thus causing other problems.

Now as with anything medical there are LOTS of factors to it. Like a breed with a generic predisposition for obesity(corgi) will be a lot worse for wear than a breed with a predisposition to be skinny(border collie/borzoi)

Lolas Dad

Obviously you've never known anyone with hormonal imbalance caused obesity. They could end up having to eat so little that they don't get enough nutrients thus causing other problems.

Now as with anything medical there are LOTS of factors to it. Like a breed with a generic predisposition for obesity(corgi) will be a lot worse for wear than a breed with a predisposition to be skinny(border collie/borzoi)
I personally knew of someone that was very obese. He weighed over 400 pounds and was about 5'10". I actually seen him on several occasions eat an extra large pizza all by himself and down a 2 liter of Coke in about 20-25 minutes. Medical issues kicked in a few years later and he died with his obesity being a major factor. All the times I have seen him eating it has never been small portions. Always large and had seconds and third helpings. The rest of his family were thin.

I myself have lost 10 pounds in one week by just eating a salad for lunch and dinner. So if a person eats the right food they can lose the weight.

pawzaddict

:hail: to Lolas Dad

Even people who have medical issues which cause obesity can stay fit. Mind over Matter people!

As for the OP, crating is really the only option. I have a medium crate that I split for 2 chi's and that is plenty of room for them, sometimes too much.

Members online

No members online now.