Building tug drive?

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I would love to build a tug drive in Draco. He has a better tug instinct then Riley did, but still so far is not doing "great". I have never taught a dog to tug before though. He gets the idea for the most part to hold on to whatever toy, but wont pull back aginst me. He tugs the Best on his nylon leash (not leather, good dog!)! He will pull against me, grab it, shake it, etc. I am thinking of buying a tugging leash, but dont want to confuse him too much as I dont want him tugging on my nice leather ones (and so far he is grasping that pretty well, nylon=ok, leather=no). Any help!

lizzybeth727

He tugs the Best on his nylon leash (not leather, good dog!)! He will pull against me, grab it, shake it, etc. I am thinking of buying a tugging leash, but dont want to confuse him too much as I dont want him tugging on my nice leather ones (and so far he is grasping that pretty well, nylon=ok, leather=no). Any help!
I personally wouldn't teach him to tug on the leash if the leash is attached to his collar. It's SO hard to undo that in puppies.

You could teach him to tug on the leash when it's not attached to his collar, like you're holding it and tugging with him. Or you COULD teach him to tug if it's attached to his collar, but teach a cue to tug, so that he knows when it's OK and when it's not.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My dogs definitely prefer fleece tugs over ropes. They LOVE fleece tugs with real fur weaved in! I get really long tugs, at least 4 feet, and run around dragging them, spin around with it, and make the game as fun as possible. Practicing restrained recalls with a tug makes it super exciting and uses the tug as a reward. Have some one hold onto his collar, run away from him waving the tug and call him. Teach him a solid "out" by shoving a treat in his face while he's tugging intensely and say "out". He'll drop it to take the treat, then say "ok" and continue playing tug.

It's important to give the tug value. Don't leave it laying around the house, put it away and only take it out for short training sessions. The idea is to get as goofy as you can, let him chase it around before he gets it. You can make a flirt pole, most dogs go nuts for those!

elegy

overdogged
Yeah, I wouldn't encourage tugging on a leash.

Try a wide variety of types! Steve likes fleece the best, but he'll tug on almost anything. Our current agility class toy is a microfiber dusting mitt. I'm going to start the puppy on something nice and soft like that, but he's already tugging on fleece tugs.

Members online