Runny poo

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
So Kiba (yes, we did decide to change his name to Kiba :popcorn:) has been having loose poop. I know it is because of the diet change. He went from eating Science Diet Sensitive Stomach (the kennel diet we feed) to Diamond Naturals Extreme Performance (or whatever it is - the high energy one). He's currently eating 2 to 2 1/2 cups total, fed twice a day, and is pooping 4-6 times a day, loose poop. I did a straight switch (had to) and he's only been on the new diet for five days.

We have some canned pumpkin that I can add to his food if that will help firm up his stool. (If so, how much do I add?) But, do you think this food is just too rich for him (it does have a really high fat content), or should I give him more time to adjust to it? I'd hate to not use a completely new bag of food, but if it's going to give him GI problems then I don't want to feed it.

Thoughts? I do have some "lower grade" food (that Rose eats; its not as rich) that I could mix in with it to try to help ease his tummy, but it is also a brand he's never had before so I'm not sure if that would help or not.

Ideas to get his poop firm again?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
When I do pumpkin I just mix in a big spoonful with each meal. Worth trying, it helped Juno when she had diarrhea after starting her thyroid meds. Another thought would be, are you feeding too much? I don't know what kind of dog or how big, 2c doesn't sound like much but it is a performance formula. Or you could do a hamburger/rice diet for a few days to see if that settles his stomach and slowly reintroduce the kibble.

Saeleofu

Another thought would be, are you feeding too much? I don't know what kind of dog or how big, 2c doesn't sound like much but it is a performance formula.
That's something to consider. Logan is 70ish pounds and eats 2 1/2 cups a day of the same food. It has something like 470 kcal/cup in it.

Anyway, Logan can have a sensitive stomach at times. The thing that seems to have done the best for him when he has a bit of loose stool is a big scoop of Showstopper. I don't know why it works, because it does have a lot of fat in it, but for whatever reason, it does work.

Depending on the breed you may be able to use immodium (loperamide). I use it on Gavroche on occasion, but Logan can't since he's a collie (and I haven't done his MDR1 test yet).

Science Die to Diamond is a BIG switch. If nothing else, maybe just give it time. I'd almost be willing to bet it's just because the new food is pretty rich.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
He's a 55 (should probably be 60) pound Pit Bull (that needs a home, so if anyone is interested....:) ). He was originally eating 4c. a day of the Science Diet, so I didn't want to just suddenly drop his food intake to something really low. I'll try reducing the amount to exactly 2 cups a day (instead of creeping up on 3c.) and see if that helps. I'll also try the pumpkin out - worth a shot.

I didn't even think about a rice/hamburger diet for a few days. I'll do that if I don't see any improvements.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I know all about dealing with runny stools... Bamm has a really sensitive stomach and any slight changes in his diet can really upset his stomach badly. I give him this digestive enhancer stuff in addition to canned pumpkin. This stuff has been such a life saver for us and Bamm. Here's the link

Nature's Farmacy - Store - Product Details

Members online

No members online now.