what to do with oakley....

Dreeza

So, over the summer, my bro is going away to camp, and i am going to italy. My parents work long hours, especially my mom. My dad doesnt really like 'caring' for oakley, and plus, oakley doesnt really listen to him anyways, lol

So, we are trying to figure out what to do with him during the day so he doesnt die of boredom or feel neglected.

My mom really doesnt want to send him away or anything, and she doesnt want to take him to a daycare everyday (expensive! and i dont think its really necessary...) We have a kennel outside, but im worried about really hot days...would putting a baby pool in there help? We dont really have anyone we trust to come take him out during the day either...

I found this place though: http://www.caninetofivedetroit.com/ Does it look good? I hear that doggie daycare poops your dog out (although with oakley, i dont think that is ever possible, haha!)...so would maybe once twice a week be enough? Mind you monday/wednesday/thursday are the big problem days. Also, my mom has a bad knee, so its hard for her to deal with him...luckily he is reliable off leash, so she can stand and throw balls for him, but bending down to get them is also a problem for her...

This should be for about a month tops...cause then i come home and can take care of him

Dreeza

ahh, sorry this is so long...but also, about the daycare, do you think it is a problem that he has a shock collar? He listens fine without it (well, to us at least - not really sure about others)....

im just so scared he is gonna get rejected cause he is mouthy...or is that pretty normal?

bubbatd

I hope you can work this out. This happens to so many dogs of young owners.They don't realize when buying, that 5 or 6 years down the road things change. I'm not faulting you or your brother.....When youngsters want a dog... it should be a family dog. In this case, my dogs would have been fine for a month , but it sounds like Oakley needs to be entertained . Just make sure he;s not outside kenneled for a month .

Dreeza

i know...the thing is, i think it is unreasonable for my bro to stop going to camp because of oakley, ya know? I was away at college when we got him, so as much as i would love to be able to take care of him every day, it was never even in the plan. Oakley will still be getting tons of love from my mom and aunt (she lives with us), every night,...my mom spoils him rotten. She just leaves the house at like 6am, and on mondays comes back after 8pm. My dad and aunt come home around 5 -7ish, but my dad doesnt take care of him unless he absolutely has to (although we do suspect he secretly plays with him when they are alone...cause Oakley just loooves hanging out with him in his office, and i caught my dad on the ground petting him once...he looked all embarrassed after, HAH!)

So he would have a "normal" nightime routine...getting fed of course, getting put to bed, etc...its just the days that are a problem. And when i come back from italy...oh boy...that attention he didnt get for those weeks, he will get 5x as much...cause i exercise and play with him waaay more than my bro does

I just feel terrible for doing this to him, so do you think the daycare would really help? He rarely gets socialization with other dogs (he loooves other dogs, and so far, has gotten along with all except 1 (on the other side of a fence)...who oaks ran away from, tail tucked, lol...so i think he will have a blast.

i mean, he is gonna live, isnt he? He entertains himself really easily outside too, lol, he watches everything...He sits at my window looking outside for no joke, hours...

Maybe try the daycare mid-week on Wednesdays. The site looks professional, and the owner seems to have the right certifications. I'd also do a pre-trial while you're still in the country, just to make sure he adjusts to it fine. A kid's pool is a great idea, too - make sure to get one with a really hard bottom. Maybe a sandbox, as well... although you may be inviting the neighborhood cats, too....
Just a side note... Italy sounds exciting... I studied in Florence in college 8 years ago (ended up dropping out and staying for a while! I did return to finish my degree.. eventually). PM me if you want any advice on places, people,etc...

Dreeza

Thanks Barleysmom! I thought the site looked good too...i just wasnt sure what to be looking for though. And thats a good idea about the pre-trial. We should be able to do that, no problem. He HAS been to a daycare before (actually, he stayed overnight)...he didnt even wanna come home...he was having too much fun with his new basset hound friend, LOL

haha, sandbox is gonna have to be a no...we used to have one when we were kids, and yup, it became a giant poop pit. And the cats that come are MEAN. Knowing Oakley, he would try and play with them, and get his eyeballs scratched out or something...im telling you the cats are evil. One was sitting on MY car, and i tried to scare it away by running at it, and yelling at it, but it sat there and hissed at me, then looked like it was about to pounce if i got any closer...i started running away from it and back inside, haha!

I am so excited for Italy! I am going to Rome, so im not sure how much you know about that area. I havent even had time to do any research..i figure ill do it once my spring class is done...i have about a week. So if any questions come up, ill be sure to PM you! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.