Do you ever avoid dog discussions on other websites/in RL?

~Tucker&Me~

I find myself avoiding discussions about dog related things more often than not because I just find the misinformation and beliefs about training depressing. For example, on reddit I am being downvoted to oblivion because I dared say something against a guy who pinned down his wolf/chow mix and bit him on the throat to show his dominance.

:(

Unless I am on chaz I avoid discussing dog stuff because it gets me down. Anyone else?

Edit: Heres the thread I was talking about in case anyone is interested. My comment isn't even viewable unless specifically clicked on because I have too many downvotes :rolleyes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/136fx9/what_it_would_look_like_if_wolves_returned_to/

milos_mommy

Sort of.

Usually I'll just throw out some better trainers names, links to websites disputing whatever the person is saying, or use real-life examples (we tried XYZ with our dog and it worked much better than what we tried before), and then bow out.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
If I see an opening for education (IRL) than I will discuss dog things, but most of the time I stay away from it. Like the guy at work who talks about the multiple litters he's bred from his dogs that he got from Petland, recommends that other people buy dogs from Petland, and is obviously proud of himself, yeah, no opening for educating there. But some people at work actively ask me questions because they know I know a lot and I'm always open to discussion.

As for other forums, I don't really go on them much.

SaraB

All the time. Unless I know they are deeply involved in dog geekery like I am, honestly, I don't want to scare them off. Not only that, but I'm kind of sick of giving away free training advice in general. I feel that people don't take it seriously unless they are actually paying for it and that I'm just wasting my breath. I avoid telling people that I'm a dog trainer for that very reason.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I pick my battles...

There are times that it is obvious that walking away and shrugging it off as best you can is really the best option for your sanity.

I do try to educate if I see the opportunity. I remember having a very nice talk about what is a good dog food with a lady that had just gotten a puppy at our local pet food store :) She was interested and I was happy to help.

There are however those that prefer to wallow in ignorance instead ;)

S

SevenSins

If you want to avoid being depressed and frustrated...stop looking at Reddit. Posting there with the intention of actually educating anyone is a lesson in masochism.

Hell, I avoid posting about dogs on most dog sites (especially breed specific) anymore because it's depressing.

Yep, mainly in RL. Sometimes people will specifically ask something and I might say something but more times than not if it's advice it's ignored. So typically I let them talk, aww over their tiny cell phone picture and let them leave.

It's not worth the frustration to me and at the end of the day I know most of them love their dogs and I'm happy with that....as long as I don't have to discuss it with them.

milos_mommy

I'm also probably not as nuts as some of you on here are :p

Like, if someone says to me about how they feed their dog purina, I'm not going to sit there and tell them there are better options. If they say they think their dog has food allergies or they want to try a better food, I'll discuss it.

Locke

It depends.

If people ask for advice or are thinking about getting a dog, I'll give them as much info as possible. But if dogs just come up in conversation and dumb crap is being said, I keep my mouth shut usually.

monkeys23

All the time. Unless I know they are deeply involved in dog geekery like I am, honestly, I don't want to scare them off. Not only that, but I'm kind of sick of giving away free training advice in general. I feel that people don't take it seriously unless they are actually paying for it and that I'm just wasting my breath. I avoid telling people that I'm a dog trainer for that very reason.
I am to this point, but I am not a dog trainer. Kinda would like to be, but working with the owners is the thing holding me back in seeking out getting certified honestly.

I get a little overexhuberant and I think my excitement about stuff I've learned comes out wrong and owing recycled dogs I'm a little jaded and cynical about the average pet owner... so thats not a great combo. I think it might be a good idea for me to read some books on how to work with the people side of people looking at training and couple that with just keeping my mouth shut most of the time.

I got called the 'dog nazi' to my face by the people who were second in line screwing poor Scout up right before I took her. Uh yeah because I'm so uptight with my dogs... riiiiiight. How dare I give them a predictable schedule and do fun stuff with them!
Those people go through so many dogs and ruin every single one. Its so sad. They shouldn't ask my opinion if they don't want it. I'm just done. Next time they ask I'll just recommend finding a trainer they like or buying a good book.

I'm way too sensitive, I shouldn't let that particular family get to me.

Lyzelle

I generally avoid talking to people, anywhere.

The lack of drive to educate themselves drive me crazy. I don't understand how people have conversations with each other.

~Tucker&Me~

If you want to avoid being depressed and frustrated...stop looking at Reddit. Posting there with the intention of actually educating anyone is a lesson in masochism.
Lol I know. I don't know why I keep getting dragged back in... I find that site more frustrating than anything and that's not just regarding dog stuff. There is a lot of sexist crap on there and it gets me down sometimes. I just need to have the self control to quit looking :p

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I avoid it like the devil. Even at work, I don't even give training advice to daycare clients unless they directly ask - and I mean directly, lol. And outside of work I nod and smile, or just plain pretend I don't hear. I also get a lot of, "Oh my dog, she does THIS and THAT!" (they stare at me expectantly and I just smile) "Well have you ever heard of that?" and then I simply say, "Yup, a fear of men is pretty common in timid dogs," or whatever. Sorry, receptionist at the chiropractor's office. LOL Or I'll recommend a book, or tell them to find a local trainer.

I also refuse to dole out free advice to people who call about booking training, but then just stay on the phone and pump me with questions. No, that is not free, sorry. I'll give them examples of my methods and what I would do for that particular dog, but I have to keep it very limited or people just take advantage of you. I remember being on the phone for like 20 minutes and finally just monotonously repeating, "Well if you'd like to sign up for a group class or some lessons we'd love to help you with that." :rolleyes:

Some people are just tire-kickers when it comes to training.

Aside from work and dog classes, I really have no reason to discuss dogs with anyone IRL. And definitely very little desire to. So I suppose my answer is "yes."

Toller_08

I tend not to discuss dogs in real life at all unless I'm with someone just as dog obsessed as I am, but even then I don't get into it too much. And with people I don't know well enough, or with friends or family I don't feel like getting in a disagreement with, it's not worth my time or frustration generally. As long as people love their dogs and try, I'm happy. If they ask me a question directly I'll give them the best advice I can in as short a way as possible (because most people don't want to listen for too long when it comes to dogs it seems).

Thinking about it, I tend not to talk dogs online either anymore. Just on dog boards (Chaz, another all breed board & a Doberman board), and even then I don't get involved in training debates or anything, and rarely give advice, just because I know others will say what I want to say more eloquently anyway. I prefer to listen (or read rather I guess!).

I've also learned that seemingly the worst place to talk dogs (for me) is Facebook. Rumors travel fast. So now I avoid talking dogs with pretty much everyone except for a select few.

unless i'm talking dogs with the people I train with or somebody asks me specifically for advice or an opinion, I generally stay out of everyone's conversations

Members online

No members online now.