Mini-doxies

Anyone have any helpful hints for me - I'm bringing home a new mini home beginning of January. I have a five month old Shar-pei now - Cubby.

Just need some advice as this is the first doxie I've ever owned. We intend to breed her. :)

She is a longhaired doxie, btw.

I'll attach two pics - one of cubby and one of symphony. :)

wookie130

I'm not sure that I have any helpful hints or advice, but both of the pups are adorable!

My grandmother had a long-haired doxie (it was a standard sized one, not a mini, however), and he did NOT like children. When I was younger, I remember petting Harvey, and he would always attempt to nip my sister and I in the face...I remember him being very cranky.

About 3 years ago, I did have a neighbor that had a mini-doxie (short coat), and she was a SWEETIE! Her name was Bailey. When I would approach her, she'd flop down for a belly rub, and that little tail would just be wagging up a storm!

Good luck...raising two pups at once should be...fun? :lol-sign:

elegy

overdogged
are you planning on showing the pup? if not, i would have her spayed at six months. there's really no reason to breed mediocre dogs with the extreme overpopulation of dogs in this country already. just love and enjoy her as a pet.

as far as advice, make sure she gets PLENTY of time being socialized by herself, without your other puppy along. make sure both dogs go to obedience classes separately. owning two puppies at once is really not advisable- they need time to grow up as the apple of your eye, being socialized enough to learn to be their own dogs, and to bond with *you* and not the other pup in the house.

Anyone have any helpful hints for me - I'm bringing home a new mini home beginning of January. I have a five month old Shar-pei now - Cubby.

Just need some advice as this is the first doxie I've ever owned. We intend to breed her. :)

She is a longhaired doxie, btw.

I'll attach two pics - one of cubby and one of symphony. :)

That is cool, is she part of a carefully planned and researched breeding program? Hopefully you will have all the testing and health certifications done before hand right? Is your Cubby neutered? Because if not, by the time the pup can be bred at 2 years, you will have him to worry about trying to mate with that tiny little dog. That would be absolutely awful. But two or so years of keeping an intact male and female apart if an almost impossible thing to do.

Honestly, if you are asking for advice on your breed, you are probably not ready to breed. But you have two years to become an expert and find a mentor, someone who shows and then begin to show your little girl too. You have a LOT of time and work and money ahead of you. Hope you are ready.

Oh where are you getting your little pup from? Are her parents fully health certified? That is very very important and I hope you figured all that out before paying any amount of money for her. Just curious because then we can go forward with advice, please let us know.

Hello

Good Morning!
I'm actually having the help of the lady who had the puppies. Wait, that didn't sound right! LOL - I mean her dog had the puppies. ;-)
She is a professional breeder. :)

So she will be teaching me everything - I would never have the courage to do this for the first time alone with no experience or knowledge.

So with that being said - I will admit, I am a bit scared at having two puppies...now that I've heard doxies are like one of the hardest dogs to housebreak. :(

Anything that might make this a little easier - suggestions, etc...

Should I keep the doxie totally separate from Cubby?
and for how long?
Should they have interaction time each day?

This is the kind of thing I'm hoping to learn more about.

Thank you so much for your feedback and willingness to offer a newbie some hints.

God Bless!

Claudia
http://www.crazybagladies.com
http://www.bobsbeerandbbq.com

I have a Dachshund. He's a 4 year old, red , smooth, male. They are extremely hard to house break, but well worth all of the effort!!!! It takes a lot of hard work, consistancy and patience. They respond very well to lot's of positive reinforcement. Dachshunds get cold really easy. I have beds with balnkets on them so he can get under the blankets to keep warm. He also sleeps with us at night...under the covers.:lol-sign:

krisykris

Are you planning on doing all the genetic testing that needs to be done in order to ensure that you end up with healthy puppies? Do you know this doxie's background?

I'd really advise you against breeding. Plus, what are the qualifications this woman has that is "mentoring you"?

And why are you breeding? For profit?

Boemy

Congratulations on your pup! :)

Before you breed, please keep in mind that it will take a lot of money to do it the proper way--and that whelping can be very dangerous for small breeds. Were the puppy's parents champion showdogs?

krisykris

Are you planning on doing all the genetic testing that needs to be done in order to ensure that you end up with healthy puppies? Do you know this doxie's background?

I'd really advise you against breeding. Plus, what are the qualifications this woman has that is "mentoring you"?

And why are you breeding? For profit?
BTW, congrats on the new addition :)

Members online

No members online now.