WHY, LOGAN? Grrrrrrr...

Saeleofu

So, over the wekeend my dad spilled hot water on Logan when he was cooking (OH I WAS PISSED. I wasn't even home at the time). It looked okay at first, then it started to get crusty. Wednesday I had to shave and scrub it, and today I took him to the vet and he got prescribed a round of antibiotics.

So, we come home, I feel sorry for him because he's in a cone, and give him the antler my brother bought for the dogs. And so he has to go and BREAK HIS FREAKING GIANT PREMOLAR on it! It's a pretty bad break, so it's definitely going to have to come out. Ugh. And I just HAD to say today when the vet complemented his teeth that I'm trying to avoid needing a dental on my dogs ever. Of course. There goes that.

And now I'm kind of flipping out, because I'm still supposed to show him ,and now he could have a giant scar on his shoulder (the vet says she thinks the hair will grow back ok and with minimal scarring) AND he's losing a tooth. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Not to mention he couldn't work all this week because of the burn, now he's going to be out all next week because of a dental, and possibly the week after, depending on how his burn heals. Ugh.

Tazwell

So sorry :( sounds like you guys have had a rough week! Vibes for quick healing!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Poor Logan :(

Fromo broke BOTH of his premolars on an antler!
At least if Logan is anything like Frodo the recovery was a breeze, he didn't seem to be in any pain at all.

Saeleofu

At least if Logan is anything like Frodo the recovery was a breeze, he didn't seem to be in any pain at all.
Of course he hasn't had it extracted yet, but so far he seems to be doing okay. He ate with no problem at all :rolleyes: I was going to give him canned food, but since he's also on an antibiotic and Rimadyl and is prone to diarrhea to begin with, I figured changing food was probably NOT a good idea. So I soaked his kibble and he slurped it up. My vet has been out of town since Wednesday and won't be back until Monday, we had a relief vet in yesterday and today (my FAVORITE VET IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD, actually, so at least there's that ;)) , but she's not in tomorrow. But, at least he's already on antibiotics and pain meds for the burn, so it should help the tooth as well until Monday. He probably won't have surgery until Tuesday. Unfortunately I don't work Tuesday mornings, so I won't be there to monitor him. We're booked solid on Monday, so there's no way to fit a dental in that morning either. I may just skip one class on Tuesday morning...

I'm trying to think if there's anything else he might need to have done while he's out, but I can't think of anything else at the moment. He's a really easy dog to do pretty much anything to, so he's never had to be sedated before. I'm a bit nervous about the anesthesia with him being a collie and not having been tested for MDR1 yet.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Poor Logan...

I hope his burn heals up quickly.

Good luck with the tooth extraction.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Bodhi had a scald (also done in someone else's company), and it grew back fine, but with more white hair so you can still notice it (only if you know it wasn't there before). She also broke a molar, most of the way down! Caused no issues at all and we didn't extract it. If it becomes an issue we'll address it then.

Poor Logan!

Sorry to hear about Logan's luck... hopefully the burn heals without any issues. Im sure the dental will go just fine.

If it makes you feel any better, Sage, my smooth girl actually knocked out two of her teeth (have NO idea how, just found her with a bloody mouth and two holes in her gums one day), and she finished her CH with no issues... AND she is a blue eyed sable merle hahah

Saeleofu

Today his burn looks a WHOLE lot better. The scab fell off mostly on its own, and then the few bits that were left I washed off with Chlorhexidine. It's looking very good.

Saeleofu

Surgery went as well as could be expected. The doctor gave him reduced dosages of the sedatives/pain meds since he's a collie, and we figured out he's probably NOT an MDR! mutant. He kept trying to wake up during surgery, but the good thing is he was awake and extubated in about 3 minutes after we shut off the gas (after being anesthetized for nearly 2 hours). He was up and walking around with no problem well before closing time, and now, less than 12 hours later, you'd never guess he was anesthetized.

His poor face is SOOOO swollen. It took nearly 2 hours for the dental, and the scaling part didn't take very long since his teeth were very clean to begin with. But the extraction took FOREVER. It's not often we do extractions with healthy bone, and apparently it's a pain in the ass.

Now he has to heal. He can't have anything but soft food for at least 2 weeks. I'm hoping he's healed enough to go to Woofstock on October 6th, because they have herding this year, and I was sooooo looking forward to letting him on sheep again. He hasn't worked sheep since before I got him.

So glad he came through surgery unscathed :) And that's great news on the MDR. One less thing to have to worry about.

Try vitamin E oil or argan oil on the burn while it's healing. It will help minimize scarring.

Hope you guys get to go to Woofstock and have fun. You're due a happy time.

Members online

No members online now.