Historical Pics(various breeds).

Pops2

freakin AWESOME!
i loved the wirehaired airedales looked like real working dogs not like the wooly sheepy things in the ring today. the older danes like the one from 1897 & the brindle from montebello kennel look like they could actually catch a boar. and the old boxers & bullies & bostons & borzoi & greys & the prick eared whippets ad infinitum.

Dekka

Just try me..
Neat! Whippet bodies haven't changed but their heads have and they tend to have more bone. No JRTs in the list though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Did you read the excerpt about the sheltie?

"This variety is of recent origin, the questionable intention being to evolve a toy collie. The weights aimed at are from 7 to 10 lbs, and the colors and conformation throughout should follow the collie as nearly as possible. Considerable strides have already been made in this direction, though the author does not regard the nature and disposition of a collie as suitable for lap-dog purposes."

That'd put them at papillon size and the history is considerably different from ANY sheltie history I've ever heard.

YodelDogs

I loved this site! Thanks for posting it. It's interesting to see how many changes some breeds have gone through over the years. I admit that there are some breeds that I actually prefer the century old versions of better than the modern day counterparts, the German Shepherd for one.

BostonBanker

Wow, there are some breeds that really don't look like they've changed much, and others that look like different breeds!

I LOVE the old boxer and bull terrier. Especially the bull.

The clumbers look like they may have once actually been able to move and hunt!

I find the English bulldogs interesting - they still look very much like EB to me - the pushed in face, the bow legs, and yet they are just enough lighter in build that they look much more athletic than the current ones. It makes me think that some vast improvements could be made to their health and well-being without totally changing the look of the breed.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I wish my computer wasn't running so horridly right now so I could actually enlarge the pics... interesting stuff though.

Romy

Taxiderpy
The saluki on the first page is amazing. It reminds me of the taigans more than a modern saluki.

I love this dog. She reminds me of Strider's greatX4 grand dam

The grand dam, from 1982. She was an ideal running machine. Ironically she never finished a confo championship because she never grew enough coat for the judges.

Last edited:

mrose_s

BusterLove
I love the old Borzoi's, they are stunning. Same goes for bull terrier's, one of my favourite breeds but they are at the point where they just look so un-athletic I don't think I will ever own one.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I thought Rotts were a breed unto themselves with very little outside influence? She's got Dobermans down as being the fore runners to Rotts, which I'm pretty sure isn't quite right. Dobes did used to be a lot thicker, that's for sure though.

I love the old Bull Terrier heads..and look at the DDBs. It's sad how much we've screwed with the appearance of so many breeds.

I love the old Borzoi's, they are stunning. Same goes for bull terrier's, one of my favourite breeds but they are at the point where they just look so un-athletic I don't think I will ever own one.
Many kennels yes but not all BT kennels ;) There are still some with athletic dogs who can even catch boars still and work cattle! Its just a matter of whether you're looking in the show rings or the back fields

bubbatd

The Golden Retriever looks more like what I used to breed . Not as much coat as today's and longer legs .

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
OoOoo! Look at that handsome sammy on the front. I can see some structural changes in the head and some changes in coat, but over all they look almost identical. I think that today's sams are smaller then the ones back in the day, but I could be wrong.

bubbatd

This thread had me looking up my first Golden's sire .... only back in the 40s but I thought the link and comments interesting . Lorelei's Golden Rip .

Members online

No members online now.