What breeds would you never own?

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
I really dont have a list of breeds that I would never own. If a dog came along with the right personailty, and could fit right into my "doggie herd" then it would def. be a part of my gang.

I dont particulary like small dogs, or dogs with alot of coat.

I never like to say "never" ... LOL.

But I would not actively search out any of the "bully breeds" ... Pit Bulls, Bull dogs, Staffies, etc. They just don't appeal to me. I would also not actively search out any dog with a breed "standard" that includes surgical modifications (ear cropping, tail docking, etc.) because I don't agree with those practices. I neither want to encourage those practices nor be in the position of constantly having to explain why my Dobbie or Mini Schnauzer does NOT have cropped ears! So I simply choose not to own those dogs.

Other than that I'm open ... little dogs, big dogs, hairy dogs, short-haired dogs, purebreds, mixed breeds, etc., etc.! Temperment is more important to me than breed though, so it depends on the individual dog.

Bailey08

I am pretty sure that will never own a terrier, or most likely any small breed. Nor a poodle (though I have known some fabulous standard poodles) or "designer" dog.

I'm almost positive I'll never own a Border Collie or an Aussie, though I can see why they are so popular on the forums.

I love pits and other bully breeds, dobies and rotties, but I don't think I'll ever own any of the three. Oh, or a husky or malamute, though I think they are gorgeous dogs too. I don't think any of these breeds is a good fit for my life (or my life isn't a good fit for them!).

Ok first of all I don't want to sound offensive or snobby but here's my list.

Akita - I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't trust them.
Italian Greyhound - Too nervy.
Weims/Vizslas/Boxers - I think they are absolutely beautiful, but too high energy to suit me.
GSD - Too hairy, plus I'm really not keen on their shape. Sorry!
Border Collies - I appreciate for people that are suited to them then they can be amazing dogs, but just not for me.
Lab/Golden - Too common, which isn't really a very good reason so I apologise :(
Husky - They seem too much training wise for me to handle.
Anything too small. I love Staffies, and they are pretty small, but they are an exception because they don't seem small.
Anything hairy.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Oh, I am SO proud of you guys! I only saw "chow" listed a few times and I think that was mostly done by newbies .. *LOL*

I LOVE my incredibly sweet, friendly, fuzzy, loving chowkids!

For me, if I were going to pick dogs by looks, I just adore naturally upright ears - so that would leave out a huge number of breeds. I love the big ears of my shepherds and the soft fuzzy ears of my chows. I know, silly reason, but it's MY reason .. *L*

I can't see myself with any breed from the sporting group. They just don't click with my personality, and unfortunately my chows have been attacked numerous times by labs and goldens. I've met a lot of wonderful labs and goldens, but they just don't seem to like my chows (who are completely non-aggressive). The last golden to attack one of my chows was a dog with obedience titles and owned by an instructor at the training club.

The other breed that seems to take big offense to my chows is the border collie - again, more than one attack and almost all the attacks were done by obedience BC's - some with OTCH's! My poor sweet girl didn't even snap back. I could never see myself with a BC. Most of the ones I've met have been very temperamental.

I doubt I'd ever have a giant breed - the short life span would be too painful to me - and at this point in my life I'd avoid any extremely active breed (my 15 month old working line GSD is enough to drive me crazy!).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Zhucca

Lab Love
Hmm. There's a lot that I would never actively seek out, and they would have to pretty much fall into my lap for me to keep them.. but thats unlikely.

Poodles (any size), Bichons, Shih Tzu's, Peke's, Chihuahuas. Well, just gunna say that I the ONLY toy dog I would consider are papillons and pomeranians.. because I love those breeds. And Schipperkes, but they aren't toys. Labs, goldens, Portugese Water Dog, most spaniels however I do have a soft spot for Springers and the English Cocker. No terriers.. although maybe one day I might consider getting a Pit Bull.. however thats waaay in the future. Nothing wire hair, except wire hair in a Ibizan. Also no smushy faced breeds.. pugs, boxers, bullmastiffs, bulldogs.. etc.

@ IliamnasQuest
I don't know how anyone can resist a Chow Chow.
Or.. especially a Chow Chow Puppy.

I might consider getting a Pit Bull..
<snip>
Also no smushy faced breeds.. pugs, boxers, bullmastiffs, bulldogs.. etc.
No smushy-faces but wanting a Pit Bull seems a little strange .... not as much as some others but Pits do have smushy faces.

That's what turns me away from any of the bully breeds ... any dog I have ever had sleeps in it's own bed on the floor right next to my bed. I'm a light sleeper and so couldn't deal with the snoring caused by the smushy faces on those dogs!

Also, perhaps not all drool but the bad droolers among the smushy faces would gross me out. One of my friends had a St. Bernard named Bonnie, sweet and very friendly dog who loved to lay her head in laps. But she always left a huge slimy drool spot ... ewwww.

Zhucca

Lab Love
<snip>

No smushy-faces but wanting a Pit Bull seems a little strange .... not as much as some others but Pits do have smushy faces.

That's what turns me away from any of the bully breeds ... any dog I have ever had sleeps in it's own bed on the floor right next to my bed. I'm a light sleeper and so couldn't deal with the snoring caused by the smushy faces on those dogs!

Also, perhaps not all drool but the bad droolers among the smushy faces would gross me out. One of my friends had a St. Bernard named Bonnie, sweet and very friendly dog who loved to lay her head in laps. But she always left a huge slimy drool spot ... ewwww.
Well, that depends on what you think pitbulls are supposed to look like..

Like the lovely dog Lil Bit.. ( :hail: )
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73729&highlight=gamedogs

Or some gotti line bulldog look alike.

However, pitbulls would be far off in my future.. DA is a issue for me. However, out of any bully breed or terrier.. I'd get a pittie.

Well, that depends on what you think pitbulls are supposed to look like.
Good point ... there does seem to be an awful lot of variety in appearance of Pits. They're very popular lately and so perhaps being overbred? The shelters in my area are absolutely chock-full of Pits and Pit mixes. Not a whole lot of other breeds but plenty of Pits.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Real ABPTs are never smooshy (love that word!) faced. Neither are they 100 lb monsters or bowlegged. Many of the so-called "pit bulls" you see nowdays are simply generic bullies, mixed with many other breeds to make them larger and more like bulldogs than terriers.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Up until recently I would have said a resounding NO to both beagles and eskies. Since then I've gotten to know a fantastic eskie cross that stole my heart. i'd take him in a heartbeat.

Then we get beagles in all the time. Most are totally obnoxious and really my least favorite of the dogs we get. Well, we got the sweetest two beagle girls in. Totally different and one is very very smart! Neither bays all day and night like the others. Both are gorgeous, though they still are both nose to the ground every time we take them out. I don't think I'd seek one out but I wouldn't totally oppose a beagle now, provided they were like the two we have now.

Apologies to Melanie, but Chows are on the list of breeds I wouldn't own. Too much hair, and when we're talking about the ones that have all the heavy wrinkles and poof around their face, I find them hard to read. I also prefer a dog that is actively outgoing. (The hair and reserved personality are also the reasons I opted not to go with Akitas, even though I like that breed a lot.)

My short list that sadly rules out much of the canine kingdom:

Chows, Sammies, Poms -- too much hair
Chis, Affens, Tibbie Spaniels, MinPins, any breed under 30 lbs -- too small, also dislike bulging eyes
Danes, Mastiffs, Swissies, anything over 80 lbs -- too big
E. Bulldogs, Pugs, Frenchies -- don't like facial wrinkles
Coonhounds, Beagles, Bassets -- too vocal
Labs, Goldens, Cockers -- too PC (yes, I said that)
Wire-haired terrier breeds -- not down with hand-stripping
Most livestock guardian breeds -- always been fascinated with Anatolians, but like my dogs outgoing
Poodles, Bichons -- Curly hair nice to touch, but not for me

I worked as a pet sitter for a few years; all the dogsters I met were wonderful!! From the labs, to the cocker spaniels, to the mutts and the poms and everything in between. The only biters were a mini-dachshund for whom there were no excuses, and a way abused greyhound who had all the excuses in the world. When I gave birth to my son, our spoiled Shih-Tzu was sent to live with an Uncle because this particular Shih-Tzu couldn't adjust to the new member of the family.

My own Aussie-girl, (RIP) sweet girl, was a bit of a nipper but that comes with herding breeds, and a better dog never was. We miss her loads.

That being said, I'd stay away from those three for sure!

F

FluffyZooCrew

A chow is the only breed I will never own, handle, foster, rescue, or have in my house. This includes most chow mixes.

bubbatd

I didn't want to post any , but I agree with a Chow . I must meet a sweet one some day as I am a lover of big dogs . I'll leave the toys for others !!

Members online

No members online now.