How small a dog do you let sleep with you?

sourjayne

Ha ha, this is in response to the big dog thread. :D

I started letting Louie sleep with me as a housetraining aid -- I had potty pads in his playpen so he would go during the night, but I wanted to take him out at night instead. I tried a few different things, and when I tried keeping him on the bed with me, I found that he actually held it through the night! I guess he didn't want to lose his spot! Since I liked him learning to hold it longer, I let him keep sleeping with me. Plus I love cuddling. But at just under 4lbs I'm quite frightened I'll knock him off the bed or roll over on him!

tac_1

Teri's babies
Awww, your Louie is adorable!! I let Missy, my short haired chihuahua sleep with me, I just put her doggie beg beside me (the hubby works away most of the time) but she almost never stays there, she ends up cuddling up to me. I'm always paranoid that I will roll over on her. My bed's not very high, so I'm not real worried about her tiny little fragile legs too much. I've also noticed that she doesn't do her "business" on the bed and holds it. Nice night training idea, lol.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
MyIrishWolfie said:
I'd be afraid I'd roll over on the dog in the middle of the night, and not know it :eek:
That's the same reason I'd have trouble sleeping with a small dog! I wouldn't want to hurt the little guy cause I do move a lot in my sleep!

baily is 9.9lbs and sleeps in bed with me every night.
i am not too worried about rolling on him.
i think he would wake up and get out of the way fast enaugh. lol i never knocked baily off the bed either

i cant even imagine to not share my bed with him anymore, i wouldnt want it any other way.

Last edited:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Lucy is 5 pounds and used to sleep with me every night. And I don't really roll around much in my sleep so I'm not too worried lol.

And I will never own a dog any smaller than that sooo I guess 5 pounds is the smallest I'll go. :p

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I am not sure what I would let a small dog do b/c we have always had medium to large dogs in the house since before I was born :) ! Also as I said in the other thread I think it would depend on the dog. :)

sourjayne

I don't move around much in my sleep, but if I hit snooze a lot in the morning, I might toss and turn a bit before getting up. Louie's pretty persistent about waking me up when the alarm goes off though. He picks up my hand with his mouth and attempts to pull me out of bed. Of course he doesn't get very far :D

Members online

No members online now.