Deer crashed through our window

In the middle of puppy class this morning a deer crashed through our front window... Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? We're speculating that maybe it was an aggressive buck that saw its reflection and tried to attack, or maybe it was running from something that scared it and didn't realize there was a pane of glass in front of it...

It left behind a lot of blood and hair and a trail of blood leading towards a wooded area. :( I called police to let them know there was a badly injured deer near a high-traffic area but my city doesn't really have anyone to deal with large wildlife so I don't know how much can be done for the poor thing. All in all an exciting morning!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm from rural PA, this was a common occurrence in schools and restaurants with huge glass windows. I think most of the time they just don't realize there is a barrier. Very sad :(

I'm guessing scared more than aggressive. Deer tend to be in large herds this time of year and very friendly with other deer. Aggression tends to be during the rut for breeding but that's been over for a while

How scary and sad.

We had a tiny little bird once hit one of the big windows at my work and the whole thing shattered. Luckily there were no clients in the lobby and the dogs were actually not in the front beds like usual. But it was definitely a holy sh%$ moment!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, it happens. Like PW said it's often large picture windows and stuff. They don't seem to realize it's a barrier and just hop right into it, not very different from birds flying into windows... just a lot bigger and instead of bouncing off like a bird, they totally break the windows, since deer around here are big, fat, corn-fed beasts. Often they get stuck in the houses they bust into and can't get out, and when the cops show up... they shoot them to put them out of their misery. =/

Yeah, my thought was that the rut was over so I don't think it would have been attacking its reflection.

I haven't heard anything about the deer. :( Ottawa does not have the employees, equipment, or training to deal with large wildlife, so if they are causing a problem they just get shot. :( The school is only a block from a large quiet forested area so hopefully the injury wasn't as bad as it seemed and s/he made it to safety.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Oh wow!! :yikes:

Out of curiosity, don't you need safety glass fitting over there? Here (unless it old and fitted before standards) glass has to be shatterproof, it just peels like car windscreens. I only ask because it was on the radio recently as a woman seriously injured herself on holiday and they were having a call in about it!!

Dizzy, I don't think it's a requirement here in Canada yet, but definitely a VERY good idea. Although all the windows on this building are pretty old.

RBark

Got Floof?
I didn't really read the title so my first reaction was "what did that husky do?!"

Oh, it's a stuffed husky. Still a likely suspect.

Members online