my dog doesnt wanna walk?

this is the first time I have a dog its a mix of a chiuaua its young not sure how young. shes very energetic. when shes on her leash she doesnt wanna move. the only way to make her move is someone to run in front of her but still that occurs for 10 :mad: seconds most. im so confused :confused: can anyone give me some advice

thank you in advance

Adrienne

Let the pup get used to pulling the leash around the house first. Then pick it up in the house and walk with her, following behind her, if she won't move try throwing a toy or some treats in front of her and then praise her for going forward.

Melissa_W

I agree with adrienne, but just want to add one thing- don't tug on the leash or keep a lot of tension it it. It will automatically make her not want to move forward.

You might want to carry some special treats in your hand when you are going for a walk. Let her know that you have them so she will be interested in following you rather than being stubborn and sitting down on the job. Treat her when she comes up to you and then continue to praise her for walking beside you. When you are finished with your walk, give her another treat as a reward for being a good girl.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Adrienne said:
Let the pup get used to pulling the leash around the house first. Then pick it up in the house and walk with her, following behind her, if she won't move try throwing a toy or some treats in front of her and then praise her for going forward.
That is what we had to do with our pit bull, she was adamant so we would toss treats in front of her and she would walk to them, this took about 1 week. We have her harness trained. Good luck ;)

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Raika didn't want to walk at first either. She would sit, lay down, roll around, do anything but walk...she gets it now, it just took a while. Be patient with her!

Members online

No members online now.