training advice needed!!! for Loki, my darling mouthy, bitey husky pup.....

Okay, here's my story LOL!

I adopted Loki, a male husky spainel mix 3 weeks ago from a shelter. He is now 13 weeks old, and very friendly, energetic and smart! His is, however, VERY VERY mouthy, to the point of nipping pretty hard sometimes. I can totally tell that it is all playing, but he gets out of hand sometimes when he gets too excited. I have tried NO!, and growleing but any sort of scolding makes him more excited and bite more. he will roll over and kind of alligator bite the air and everything else that gets near his little mouth.

I also tried yelping, and ignoring him, but when i ignore him he will just keep playing and rolling around and biting things. This is most problamatic when he is in my boyfriend's dorm room, becasue we all can't really leave the room every time he nips somebody. i could put him in his crate, but i don't want him to associate bad things with it...would this cause him to?

Distracting him with a toy works well, but sometimes he just starts chomping on everything in sight...so he will bite the toy and me...

I think his biggest problem is he dosn't really know bite inhibition yet...and the yelping thing isn't really working very well (he seems to like it when i yelp at him?) He can't socialize with puppies for another 2 weeks since he was really sick with something (canine flu, maybe?) when i got him, so the vet said another 2 weeks just in case.

He knows the commands sit, come(sort of), go potty, and drop it (which i am working on with him to help reduce the biting when he gets too crazy, and/or is eathing something he isn't supposed to)

Any suggestions would be most welcome! in general Loki is such a adorable, sweet, happy puppy, he just needs to learn not to chomp on peolple and thier pant legs so hard!
~Sheila

Thanks so much, that article was really helpful! Only one more question, though...what to do when we aren't playing and Loki will soemties just start attacking my feet or pants legs?

Tilt

Easily Amused
You can use the same sort of methods described in the article, just adjust it to the fact he's biting your feet and pants legs. :]

okay, thanks!
He has actually started responding to the yelping and time out method...maybe it just needed a few times to sink in;)

Members online

No members online now.