House Plants

Zhucca

Lab Love
Anyone have a large collection of house plants? I'm just starting out, I have 10 plants, 1 silk plant.

Because pictures give a thread substance:
(excuse my walls/dusty room. I'm still working on skimming out and touching up the walls before I paint the whole house.)

Pictured here is two golden pothos, a baby lipstick plant, a baby jade, a random fern/grass type that I have no idea what it is.

Then my heart-leaf philodendron, and another one I'm not too sure of what it is. My friend just gave it to me, 4 of them separated, and I put them together. I'm gonna twist the stems together so they'll climb nicely.

I also have two spider plants, one pencil plant... and a silk plant tree that stand about 5'6. I guess if my roommates plants count two he has two cacti and a pepper plant.

What plants do you have?

I need advice as well because my unknown grass/fern thing keeps wanting to die on me. I just repotted it with some nutrient rich soil and I water it every other day. It's a pretty thirsty plant but if I water it every day the soil gets a little soggy. Any recommendations on plant food? I have water added food, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on this particular plant. While the rest of the plants act like they're being injected with steriods.

Also, because Duke is cute:

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have a Christmas cactus and an african violet. Oh yes, Duke makes the pictures much better; he's adorable!

ACooper

Your plants look very nice! And so does DUKE! LOL

I do think live plants add a depth and warmth to any room, I love them!

I wish I had a greener thumb and sunnier house, LOL The running joke in my family used to be "Any plant going to Angie's house is on a kamikaze mission" hahaha I see them, buy them, bring them home....when they turned brown, I'd give them to my aunt who would magically bring them back to life and have them FLOURISHING in a matter of weeks. Made me so mad! LOL

I have learned that I cannot just see a plant that I like and buy it. It has to suit the environment of my house, so no full sun plants. I currently have about 7 different plants and they are all shade-partial sun lovers.

I even have my pointsettia from last Christmas and it's gotten BIG! I forgot to start keeping it dark 12 hours a day in October, so it's not red for Christmas this year........but the main thing is, IT'S STILL ALIVE! hahaha

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have Brie the Plant-Slayer so I don't have as many house plants as I'd like, since I'm limited in where I can put then to keep them safe.

I have a couple differet color varieties of pothos

Two variants of spider plant- one green and one variegated.

A couple wandering jews/oyster plants in various color variants -- the pretty purple&green, an all-green, and a green&white variegated

An aloe plant of course

An unidentified succulent from a family member

One peace lily

One cactus of some sort, again from a family member.

Two Christmas cactus, both of which are currently in full bloom :)

Of these, I only purchased the peace lily and the aloe...the rest are starts from friends/family. Used to have a lot more variety before we moved states, but I had to leave them all at the old house with Hubby for about 6 months and anything that didn't do well under his one-size-fits-all "care" program (read: water heavily once per week) died and I haven't replaced them.

milos_mommy

I want some houseplants for my bedroom, more to purify the air than for anything else. I like houseplants, and I think they're fun/pretty, but I'm not very good at them.

Milo knocks any plants that are on the only plant-friendly windowsill over, and the cats thing all plants are fun snacks no matter where they are.

I need something that does well in shade/partial sun, can tolerate cooler temperatures, and doesn't need water every day. Nothing that's going to grow over-the-top everywhere. I'm thinking a fern, maybe?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Can you get a clearer picture of the grass fern thing? Is it the one on the far left in the photo? It might need a different soil but without an accurate ID it's hard to know.

My collection is thinned out right now, trying to build it up again. MOAR PLANTS!

My pride and joy is the Scadoxus puniceus. I wish I had more, but you can't even buy them in North America that I've found. They're from SA and this one was a present from my boss, who grew them from seed he had someone ship him from there. It hasn't bloomed yet because it's too young, and it just went dormant, but they look like this:

I'm nursing a dragonfruit start along. Have a started taro plant, a ginger plant, ming aralia, and a hybrid orchid.

Zizis are awesome. They were my favorite type of houseplant ever when working for the indoor landscape company. Just really pretty and hardy. I'd love to get one if I can find one. I'm also looking for:

different varieties of dragonfruit
yellow and red christmas cactus
african violets
cyclamens (the wild types smell AMAZING)

And some good foliage types.

ETA:
I want some houseplants for my bedroom, more to purify the air than for anything else. I like houseplants, and I think they're fun/pretty, but I'm not very good at them.

Milo knocks any plants that are on the only plant-friendly windowsill over, and the cats thing all plants are fun snacks no matter where they are.

I need something that does well in shade/partial sun, can tolerate cooler temperatures, and doesn't need water every day. Nothing that's going to grow over-the-top everywhere. I'm thinking a fern, maybe?
A fern could work. Check into zizis though, they're fernish looking but also a succulent, so you don't have to water them nearly as much. I have a hard time finding them but there might be a wider selection of plants in your area.

Members online

No members online now.