When can I say "Enough is enough"??

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Nya's peeing blood.

Her stitches haven't even been taken out from her hematoma surgery and we have ANOTHER problem.

Now, this is a chronic problem with her (she has kidney stones and has chronic UTI's and is on a regular antibiotic regimen to keep them at bay), but she's been ON antibiotics for her ear, the same antibiotics she's usually on for her UTI's, and this is the worst UTI she's had in almost a year. WHY?!!!

I begged borrowed and stole (aka got my tax refund) to pay for her surgery, and we seriously can't weasel our way into finding money to pay for more vet bills. We just can't. Unemployment doesn't even cover our rent and I don't even want to talk about food right now. I've always done more than I could for the animals, but now... I just can't. Especially when we've been through this exact same situation a hundred times with Nya. I know exactly what tests they'll want to run, because they've done the same thing over and over for the past 4 years and the results are ALWAYS the EXACT SAME. Nothing will have changed, it will be a $300 bill (or thereabouts) to tell me the same thing we already know, and not offer any solutions. So I'm sorry, but I can't do it.

I feel like I've failed as a pet owner.

*Edit to clarify* As I re-read this I realize it may seem like I'm giving up on Nya entirely which is NOT what I mean. I just can't take her in for treatment of THIS issue (again). Since the vet is going to tell me the same things they already have, and prescribe her antibiotics she's already on. I don't want anyone to think I'm putting her down or anything, because that's absolutely NOT the case.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
You have NOT failed. you love her and have done all you can ((HUGS)) i dont know what advice i can give you because ive never been in that situation but you're trying and you love her and thats definetly NOT failing

noludoru

Bored Now.
Nilly, you haven't failed her - not even a bit. You've done all you can for her since you've had her and right now there's nothing more you can do for her. That's not failing, that's reaching your limit. We all have them. It doesn't make you a bad pet owner or a bad person. It's how life works.

((((((((((((BIG hugs))))))))))))))

I love you, hon.

You havent failed!

You have done a lot for her... try and relax, review your options, and you will know what the best thing to do is.

((HUGS))

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Thanks guys.

I'm just so frustrated :( Since she's been on antibiotics for two weeks now there is NO reason she should have a UTI, let alone one as raging as this one is... I want so badly to be able to do something for her, but financially I'm beyond drained and even if I COULD pay for treatment, she's already ON what they've always prescribed for her and it's clearly not doing anything. I guess the worst of it is knowing that UTI's are painful. She's hurting, and there isn't anything I can do to make it better.

Not to mention she HATES me right now. I've been putting surolan in her ears for two weeks, pilling her every day, and she's had to wear that stupid cone... then today she threw up IN her cone (it was disgusting) and I had to give her a BATH. Of all the horrible things you have to put a cat through she's had it all lately. Poor babe.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
You have certainly not failed her. ((HUGS))

In all honesty I suggest seeking out a holistic vet. It wasn't too long ago that I was walking your walk; it's no fun, it's heartbreaking and leaves you feeling like you have failed when in reality you have done all that you could/can.

I'm here if you need me.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
You have certainly not failed her. ((HUGS))

In all honesty I suggest seeking out a holistic vet. It wasn't too long ago that I was walking your walk; it's no fun, it's heartbreaking and leaves you feeling like you have failed when in reality you have done all that you could/can.

I'm here if you need me.
The new vet at the clinic I go to does chinese herbal medicine and other holistic treatments like that, and when we went in today to have her stitches out we talked a bit about alternative treatment options. We aren't going to be exploring them right now since I have no money, but we discussed them for the future so that felt a bit better.

She suggested that this UTI is probably stress induced, and now that she's back to the normal routine it should subside. I'm keeping her on the antibiotics for two more weeks to try and kick it out.

*sigh*

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I'm sorry you are going through this. I believe she knows, on some level, that you are doing your best to help her. I hope she improves for you.

Members online

No members online now.