help??

pamstjohn

My 13 yr old sheltie got hit by a car 8 yrs ago and now he has taken to licking the injured leg to the bone if i don't stop him. i know that dogs licking wounds help heal the wound BUT not if he licks it to the bone and it will not heal. the vet put him on pain meds but that doesn't help either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!!!!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
If the licking is new and the injury was 8 years ago, then the original injury should be healed by now. It could be coincidental that it's the same leg. He could be getting a hot spot, in which case you can try putting some gold bond powder on it and a collar that prevents him from chewing.

It also may be helpful to clip the hair where he's licking so you can keep it clean and see what's going on.

pamstjohn

help

the injury is old, the licking problem is new. the vet says maybe a nerve !! he has licked the hair off, down to the bone. i have spent a small fortune on products so was hoping someone had some insight as to what might help.

pamstjohn

help

and oh yeah, i have the e-collar, he manages to get his leg up in it so that he can lick! a very smart sheltie!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Just want to say to maybe also post your question in the health section so more people may see it in case they don't see your posting in this section.

LuvsDogs

My thought was arthritis. They will lick sore joints. But definitely don't give asprin its toxic to dogs. The vet will advise on pain relief. You could try glucosomine or fish oil but they take a while to work.

pamstjohn

i have tried everything that has been bought up here, i was hoping someone had a fresh idea. i know i am not the only one with this problem, i'm still holding out for that person that has been there and can help me!

Members online

No members online now.