Calling All Agility Peeps....help!!

I'm starting a new class format on August 10th with an agility component. I made the mistake of ordering only Pac n' go equipment and now find myself with jumps that I can't use, tunnels and chuts without weights and important items missing.
Also, the Pac n' go stuff is really difficult and time consuming to put together, even with the help of my assistant it takes far too much time.

What I NEED (desperately) is equipment that can be used indoors and outdoors, on both grass and hard surfaces, that's easy to store and easy to put together. Even better, would be equipment that folds down enough so that I can pack it back in my truck at the end of class.

Also, the proper weights for my tunnels and chutes....

Palllllleeeeeease?:D

adojrts

Which pieces of agility are you looking for?
Clean Run has a really nice jump for folds up, that would work.
Weights can be made by getting the canvas grocrey bags or Walmart bags that are green friendly. Put sand or gravel in other bags and then add them inside the Green friendly bags, either tie or bungee them together over the tunnels.
There was a vender (Canadian company I believe) at the AAC Ontario Regionals that had cheap training tunnels, I'll look and see if I find their info.

I'm looking for jumps, weights for tunnels, weave, anything that's easy put up/take down (non-competitive classes only, more for fun/confidence building)...and weights (tunnels/chutes) for when I'm not on grass.

adojrts

I can't yet find the vendor info.
I wouldn't recommend weaves, not if you haven't been trained in agility yourself and compete. They take too long to train correctly and they are one of the obstacles that can produce the most stress on the mind and the body.

Curious, just how far do you plan on taking these Fun Agility classes?
Because to be honest, those kind of classes cause more problems for people who may in the future decide to compete.

It's one thing to have a jump or two plus a tunnel for building confidence but it sure changes when its called a Fun Agility class and most of the obstacles are being offered.

I can't yet find the vendor info.
I wouldn't recommend weaves, not if you haven't been trained in agility yourself and compete. They take too long to train correctly and they are one of the obstacles that can produce the most stress on the mind and the body.

Curious, just how far do you plan on taking these Fun Agility classes?
Because to be honest, those kind of classes cause more problems for people who may in the future decide to compete.

It's one thing to have a jump or two plus a tunnel for building confidence but it sure changes when its called a Fun Agility class and most of the obstacles are being offered.
These will always be an introduction/basic level class. I have been involved in agility for many years myself and have hired an instructor who's been teaching agility and who was also one of my students/apprentices. This will be a component of the class but will only be part of the format.

My assistant will be able to take those interested in future more serious agility classes with her to another class.

I have to disagree with you about this type of class causing problems for future agility prospects. I am very careful as to how I undertake any new class format, nothing is done without consideration for every component.
That's exactly why the assistant that I hired for this class is someone who does compete and is very active in teaching...but is also certified and current and teaches more than just agility.

Edited to add - I'm not sure why the addition of weave polls and other components when taught properly would be viewed as problematic.:confused:

adojrts

These will always be an introduction/basic level class. I have been involved in agility for many years myself and have hired an instructor who's been teaching agility and who was also one of my students/apprentices. This will be a component of the class but will only be part of the format.

My assistant will be able to take those interested in future more serious agility classes with her to another class.

I have to disagree with you about this type of class causing problems for future agility prospects. I am very careful as to how I undertake any new class format, nothing is done without consideration for every component.
That's exactly why the assistant that I hired for this class is someone who does compete and is very active in teaching...but is also certified and current and teaches more than just agility.

Edited to add - I'm not sure why the addition of weave polls and other components when taught properly would be viewed as problematic.:confused:
If you have been involved in agility and your assistant has also competed then its not a problem. But it is a well known fact that many instructors of obedience etc that have no training or experience in agility can cause problems for those who may want to compete in the future. For the obvious reasons.
Compared to an agility trainer/exhibitor starting classes for Feild Retreivers but they don't have any training or experience within that sport.

That is why I asked you those questions.

If you have been involved in agility and your assistant has also competed then its not a problem. But it is a well known fact that many instructors of obedience etc that have no training or experience in agility can cause problems for those who may want to compete in the future. For the obvious reasons.
Compared to an agility trainer/exhibitor starting classes for Feild Retreivers but they don't have any training or experience within that sport.

That is why I asked you those questions.
I do know what you mean. I see it the same in reverse. There are a few fantastic agility instructors in our city branching off into behaviour/private training and are clearly not qualified.

Just as I wouldn't have this new gal teaching my GROWL class, I wouldn't hire someone without the proper experience to help with agility.

My experience in agility has been pretty sporadic and it's certainly not my area of expertise. The gal that I hired is an agility junkie and teaches and competes as her primary dog training focus. Her mentor trainer in agility is one of our top agility instructors/judges so I feel pretty lucky to have her.

adojrts

It absolutely amazes me that people take money for a field that they are not qualified to teach.
I don't do competitive obedience, when someones calls wanting that I give them names and numbers of those who do and are successful. Same with serious behavioural problems.

Thanks Brandy, I had used one of the suppliers on the list (affordableagility) and they were really great. Very helpful and it looks like it'll all get here on time too!:)

Brandyb

Thanks Brandy, I had used one of the suppliers on the list (affordableagility) and they were really great. Very helpful and it looks like it'll all get here on time too!:)
You're very welcome! I've heard nothing but good things about affordable agility. Good luck with your training program.
If you're interested, down the road, in making some of your own jumps and weaves, Patios to Go has some great prices on PVC - I've used them for my jumps. :)

Jynx

I've gotten alot of equipment from affordable agility,,they have good stuff.

I can't wait for it all to get here. I've already recieved my UPS notification...all the way from NY to Alberta by August 1st!!! Great Service!:)

Jynx

yes they do have great service,,I have purchased sets of weave poles from them and was pleased with all the stuff I got..

This is what I ordered so far, I have pretty much everything else - Have you seen the mini travel teeter?

5 Comp Tunnel Braces (much better than weighted bags):)
Practice Tire Jump
Travel Jump Set
Fixed 6 Pole weave set
Weave Wires for 6 pole
Mini Travel Teeter

Dekka

Just try me..
Hmmm can you cancel your order? If you are teaching weaves to beginners you likely won't want wires.

If you are doing beginner agility you will want a wobble board vs a teeter, maybe a few planks. Jumps are good :) But if the tunnel braces are more.. I would go with the bags.. if they are good enough for the nationals, I am sure they are fine for classes. Also (at least around here) dogs are more likely to see bags than braces.

As an aside I would spend extra money and get a good tunnel (http://www.ntiglobal.com/dogagility/cart.php?page=_) as tunnels are not something that stand up well when they are cheap.

I hope it works for you, personally, any pvc equipment that I've seen used for much more than backyard work doesn't seem to stand up to the heavy use and abuse of repeated training.

Seeing as I'm already working 60-70 hour weeks, I didn't jump out to offer the aluminum equipment I make, I suspect that unless someone REALLY wants something, it will be winter before I get back into the shop on that project.

Hmmm can you cancel your order? If you are teaching weaves to beginners you likely won't want wires.

If you are doing beginner agility you will want a wobble board vs a teeter, maybe a few planks. Jumps are good :) But if the tunnel braces are more.. I would go with the bags.. if they are good enough for the nationals, I am sure they are fine for classes. Also (at least around here) dogs are more likely to see bags than braces.

As an aside I would spend extra money and get a good tunnel (http://www.ntiglobal.com/dogagility/cart.php?page=_) as tunnels are not something that stand up well when they are cheap.
The wires are for my assistant to take to her other facility. I do have a wobble board already and no planks, I'd have no where to store them.

The tunnel braces are so much cheaper than the bags that I looked at and since I have to put everything back into my truck after class, I didn't want to fuss with sand/homemade bags. I've got 2 good tunnels and one chute...the only equipment that I was happy with from my original order.

This equipment will get no where near the use that a full time agility facility would put it through. I'll let you know what it's like when it comes though...I'm so curious.

Members online