Locke

My SO has got me hooked on Avatar!

I've never been able to watch anime because I find the over exaggerated facial expressions and reactions REALLLY annoying.
But then I watched Avatar, and I just couldn't help but love it. Who can resist a Wind Buffalo??

Anyway, is there other anime where the art is awesome, the expressions and reactions aren't annoying (for the most part), and the creatures in it are adorable?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Avatar rocks. It'snot technically anime though. It's american made but looks like anime and has a lot of anime like themes.

I haven't found anything close to it though.

Locke

Hahaha oops! Shows you what I know about anime!

Thanks for the info.

I used to be a big fan of the show! I still like it but not as much as I did in the past. Have you looked into the sequel, The Legend of Korra?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I love anime, some more than others and yes some can be a bit melodramatic and over the top, but most are awesome.

I heard there was going to be a second live action movie.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I love anime, some more than others and yes some can be a bit melodramatic and over the top, but most are awesome.

I heard there was going to be a second live action movie.
Shamalamadingdong wanted a trilogy, but there's no word on it happening. If they budget a sequel for a movie with a 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I'll have an even bigger beef with the film industry.

The show is amazing though. Love LoK too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
LoK doesn't grab me the same way.... I dunno I feel like they started great but then since they thought it would be a miniseries vs a real multi season show so everything was hastily ended. I also get tired of all the Mako and Korra drama. Other than Tenzin I'm not hugely fond of any characters. They're kind of dull to me whereas I loved most the ATLA characters.

It's still GOOD just not great. When does it start back up again?

Anyone read The Search and the other comics?

Locke

I'll have to check out the sequel when I finish! Thanks for the suggestion!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Ditto what everyone else said about Avatar not being anime. But if you are irritated with a lot of the over exaggeration and lame drama in some animes, you'd probably really like Hayao Miyazaki's work. He's done a lot of movies for Studio Ghibli. The art. Oh. My. Gosh. It's incredible. You watch some of it, and it's just mind boggling that every single bit of it is painted by hand.

And these gorgeous matte paintings for the backgrounds? They're done with tempera poster paints. I just. :eek:

The animation is amazing. If someone gets a scratch at the beginning of the story, or their clothing tears, the damage is animated in for the rest of the film. There's a scene in Spirited Away where the main character's father is running through a field. I first saw it on the big screen, and they freaking animated the zipper tab on his fly bouncing up and down as he ran. WHO DOES THAT!?! You can't even tell on the TV.

To top it off, Miyazaki is an incredible storyteller. His stories are all full of strong heroines too. I love them. And there are cute animals in almost all of his films.

Some really good ones to start off with are:

Howl's Moving Castle (Calcifur the fire demon. Dawww)
Princess Mononoke (a little gory, just a warning in case you have little kids around, but they have kodamas. ^.^)
Spirited Away

For lighter sweet movies they have My Neighbor Totoro. Totoro and Catbus are so. friggin. cute. There are so many awesome films though. What type of movie do you usually like?

Members online