Eagle Pack? Questions.

Ok, I switched both dogs to Eagle Pack, the all stages, and Hershey seems to not like it, he turns his nose up to it, after 1 cup. He eats the 1 cup, and then the rest of the day he turns his nose up. Is this because its a better brand, or he just doesn't like it? I'm not sure which it is. He has been acting weird recently. Hes been pooping in the house since he has been on this food. Which isn't very long. Well, any suggestions are welcome/advice!!! Thank you for reading! P.S. I'm doing all the food shopping now since I got my liscence!! :D (this is why, we haven't been getting Iams, Authority, or any of the other non-decent brands) ;) Thank you for reading again! Whisper is doing fine on this brand, Hershey has had digestive upsets, everytime I switch his foods.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
What other food do you have in your area?

NB seems pretty reasonable here. Taste of The Wild and Nature's Variety Prairie. All around $36-$40 for a $30lb bag.

I HIGHLY reccomend going to a grain-free food also. We've been on NB grain free for 6 weeks now and it was a 28lb bag and I still have 1/4 of a bag left! Usually, with Canidae, a 40lb bag would only last a month.

Herschel

Good job on the food change!

Some dogs have a hard time adjusting to new foods. If possible, you could take Hershey out more often to go to the bathroom to prevent accidents in the house. Then, once he adapts to the food, he should be back to his regular schedule.

He probably eats less of the food because it is more nutrient dense. As a result, he gets the same number of calories in less food and stops eating. If he is only eating 1 cup you should be happy! That means he knows when to stop and he is eating as much as he needs.

Herschel

Which Natural Balance are you talking about? I guess a couple of their formulas are "grain-free" but they are so low in protein they would be better off with grain!

We just switched to Nature's Variety Instinct and the dogs are doing well on it so far. It's too soon to tell if it is going to make a major difference from Canidae, but I'm sure they appreciate the variety.

showpug

Which Natural Balance are you talking about? I guess a couple of their formulas are "grain-free" but they are so low in protein they would be better off with grain!

We just switched to Nature's Variety Instinct and the dogs are doing well on it so far. It's too soon to tell if it is going to make a major difference from Canidae, but I'm sure they appreciate the variety.
I was wondering the same thing? Plus, Natural Balance doesn't make anything in a 28lb bag:confused:

You could try adding a bit of plain yogurt, cottage cheese or canned pumpkin to the food to help settle his stomach a bit. Some dogs it takes longer than others to make the switch.

The food he was previously fed--did it have different meat sources than this? My thought is it could be an allergy problem perhaps if it keeps going on.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yes, they have a 28lb bag. It's the NB Sweet Potato and Fish Allergy Forumal. Grain-Free.

I had to get something fast because -that was the only thing I could get- Canidae was making Lizzie cratch more, after medication, now she's a lot better.

Herschel

Yes, they have a 28lb bag. It's the NB Sweet Potato and Fish Allergy Forumal. Grain-Free.
Have you thought about adding raw meat to supplement the food? It is basically potatoes. Here are the major ingredients:

Natural Balance® Sweet Potato & Fish Dry Dog Food
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html
"Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed..."

As a result of being so carbohydrate heavy, it only has 21% protein.

Members online

No members online now.