A question for all you good breeders

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
How did you get started in breeding dogs? I'm totally in love with blackmouth curs after having Zeus, :D and have been idly thinking of breeding them someday. But I want to be responsible, and not a backyard breeder.

I know that besides learning absolutely everything you possibly can about the breed, it involves health tests, good parents, and the ability to take responsiblity for every single puppy. And I know that it is NOT a profit-making venture. But how do you manage to take that first step? Do you find a mentor, or just hold your breath and take the plunge?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
go to dogshows and find a mentor. If your breed is not recognized then find breeders in your area and ask questions. It's good to have as much personal experience as possible with the breed and own a few before starting to breed.

bubbatd

I started because I was interested in having a female for my Male. I was friends with a Golden breeder/owner/shower whom I met through obedience classes. He had Goldens in the Hall of Fame. I got a female from him and with his blessings . By now ( and before ) I was hooked on Goldens...Now folks ... this was back in the 60s !!! Don't put me down.!! He and I worked for many years in doing it right . I wanted to continue the disposition and show quality of my Goldens. I wasn't interested in showing... but he did take one of my pups to a show because he was so outstanding ( His request, not mine !) Long story short , I bred to keep my line going for me, my kids and the many requests I had. I never had two females at one time to have litters, nor bred my female more than once every 1 1/2 yrs. Of my 3 b*tches over my many years , only one had 3 litters. Geeeze ... I forget what this was about! Senior moment !!!

bubbatd

Sorry ! I see the start now. I think breeding has changed today. More people have four legged kids, than two legged. Therefore, there are more breeders out there. I personally feel ( except for foster and rescue ) that the internet has added to the problems. Gem , first of all the breed has to be number one in your mind. You have to research and do ALL the tests for it. See who may be interested through friends and family because of Zeus. Never, ever breed and hope for buyers. Never have to have a web site and sell. I don't think the breed is one sought after by the average folks. Don't take the plunge !!! As much as you love the breed, leave it to others. Down the road, you may want to get a good quality female that could be bred to Zeus. Believe me, I understand the passion, but really it's not worth the cost and heartache in today's market . That , plus my age, is why I didn't buy a female to continue my line with Bubba. Yes, I could have bought a co-owned dog for $1000. ... otherwise it would have been female spayed female. These were through lines I know.... responsible breeders. I knew when the time was for me to let go.

Athebeau

Go take a course on genetics/husbandry at your local University to find out what not to do:)

Any body can show/breed dogs...I know tons of people who do so...but, I don't know many who "truly" understand what in the heck they are doing. There are many different concepts you should know about for example what really happens when you take a genetically unsound dog out of a small gene pool...why genetic diseases happen...:)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
personally i think a mentor is very important. it's good to have someone to fall back on when you need answers on some things, and the know-how and advice of an experienced breeder is invaluable, especially when it comes to researching your breeding program and laying the foundation for your kennel.

i was at that point a few years ago, before i met the guy who is now my husband and left not only my home country to be with him, but also pretty much abandoned any hope of ever following through with my plan of breeding working dachshunde since he's not a dog person. all the knowledge i gained from my mentor (who was not only a dachshund breeder but also my vet of over 15 years) is something i'm very grateful for tho, breeding or not.

Saje

Island dweller
I bet you'd be a great breeder Gempress. You are responsible and do your research and your breed is definitely not overbred.

Members online

No members online now.