Uh Oh, We have coyotes

filarotten

Fila the love
For the last three nights we have been awakened two and three times in the middle of the night by the dogs barking and wanting out. We let them out, they stay out for a few moments, then they want in. Frustrating! This morning Keith left at 5:30 a.m. to finish a job. He saw 2 coyotes in the back yard. My macho husband Mr. P. person does not seem to be concerned at all. " Brutus or Roxie could kill a coyote, no big deal, coyotes are scavengers not fighters", not thinking about the vet bills that might be incurred. MEN!!!!!!!!!
All dogs shots are up to date, but, I hate to think of this possible situation.

Last edited:
R

RedyreRottweilers

I would seriously be worried about communicable disease, FR.

Not the least of which is Rabies!!!

Yikes....

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
You have good reason to be afraid. Aside from carrying disease, coyotes are frighteningly intelligent. One of my coworkers is from an area where coyotes are a big menace to domestic pets. And yes, the coyotes frequently kill and eat dogs much larger than they. One coyote gets the dog to chase it, then leads it to an area where its packmates are waiting. *shudder*

If Roxie and Brutus are out together, I doubt they'd ever be eaten. But there is still the possibility of vet bills. I'd do whatever you could to get the coyotes to leave.

filarotten

Fila the love
I guess that's one way to look at it, Orion.
How do you get them to leave? I know, being a woman, if anything happens, it will be when Keith is not home. Just the way it works. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Debi

that is scarey!! my neighbor down the road said she let her dog out last summer, heard it barking like crazy on the porch, when she immediately checked she saw a coyote in her yard. she has a tiny little dog, and was scared to death so she grabbed her gun and flew outside. coyote got away, and hasn't been seen since...but it is still out there, with a pack no doubt. be careful!!!!!!!! best not to leave them unsupervised. geez, coyotes are becoming such a menace!

filarotten

Fila the love
Thank goodness, Maggie never goes to the back of our property by herself. She always stays around the house or in the front, and usually one of the big dogs is outside with her... She woudn't stand a chance against a coyote. Guess I will have stay outside with them at all times. Keith did check the back of the property to see if there is a coyote den, but he didn't see one.

nedim

filarotten said:
I guess that's one way to look at it, Orion.
How do you get them to leave? I know, being a woman, if anything happens, it will be when Keith is not home. Just the way it works. Any suggestions?

Shotgun or bear mace

Debi

I have been told (and have no idea if this is true or not) that one thing is you never leave garbage cans out in the open. (I now put mine in the shed) they are most likely coming in your yard looking for easy food. I also never put dog food outside (I'm sure you don't either), even in the fenced area. I've heard they can scale a fence with ease........now THAT'S scarey! if they aren't rabid, it's really just a check for food. I bet they move on...better mention it to neighbors.

filarotten

Fila the love
I don't have a probelm using a gun, what I do have a problem with....if my dogs are fighting with the coyote. I would be afraid I might hit one of them. A shotgun scatters, and could spread to one of my dogs. While I am pretty accurate with my 9MM, I don't feel that confindent at shooting a coyote, who might be fighting with my dogs. The big garbage can is close to the house, they were back by the pond area. They must be able to jump a fence as we have 4' chain link.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
We have coyotes all over here and I've never had a problem. But there's also a lot of feed available (small rodents, etc.) for the coyotes. And we have no problem with rabies in this area so I have no fears on that.

You might consider a fenced yard (even just a small area) where you can let your dogs out at night. I'm guessing if you're worried about coyotes and fights that you don't have a fenced area. My 6' chain link fence keeps the coyotes (and moose) out quite well and I can let my girls out without worrying. In the daytime we can go out front where there is no fence and I can watch them.

I bought the chain link panels (ten feet long, six feet high) that just bolt together. Makes a very handy fence and is moveable if you want to change things. I have 13 panels now (bought them here and there, found a few slightly damaged ones for cheaper). The cost was worth the peace of mind.

I've seen coyotes from my windows several times, but I worry more about the moose here. Moose can tear up a dog pretty badly.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

nedim

If I were you, I would pick them off as soon as I saw them near my property. If a fight insinuated, then mace may actually be the safest thing on account of your dogs.

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Our house is surrounded by woods! There is a pack of coyotes that live near us too, we hear them howling and yiping sometimes. They often kill stray cats and leave their bones in our yard.... :( One day I was outside with my cat (she only goes out once in a while on harnesh and leash) and I had my back turned to the woods, all of a sudden we heard a loud yip that sounded like it was coming right behind us!! My cat bolted toward the house so fast I almost dropped the leash, and of course I ran to the house right behind her. When Misty was safe and sound I went back outside and hid in the van to see if I could see any of the coyotes, but all I heard was howling. Coyotes are not the only danger around here.... There are a few black bears, lots of skunks and purquipines. Our dogs have been sprayed before, and thank godness a purquipine didn't get them! There is a camp behind my house which I often walk to alone with my dog. One day when my brother and father were down there my dog chased a bear cub! I often worry about Charlie because he is outside a lot of the time, but I keep a good eye on him. He will also bark if anything is around. Any way sorry for the long story and rambling on.. :eek: .... I hope you solve your coyote problem!

Here is a pic of Charlie in our backyard, behind him, into the woods down the hill is where the camp is:

D

Dobiegurl

All I know if there is an animal fighting with my dog I would go crazy. I would go into protective "mommy" mode and tear that animal up. Nothing messes with my baby.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
AusCatDogs_4Ever said:
I have seen a few moose near my house, I didn't know they attacked dogs...:eek:
Well, the dogs will bark at them and the moose are often proactive - I've seen them charge my chain link fence and hit it trying to go after the dogs. And if a dog chases after a moose, the moose will turn on it and many dogs have been injured with those powerful legs and hooves. A moose hoof can skin a dog, and shatter bones.

You talked about porcupines above - I have this nice fenced yard, 6' high, keeps out the coyotes and moose (and even bears, we have both black and brown here). But there are wooden steps leading down from my back deck to the yard, and a darn porcupine came through the narrow opening between the steps and got into my yard. I came home and let the dogs out (I had two shepherds and two chows at that time) and I heard a yelp and in came my older shepherd, with the side of her face and her shoulder covered in quills! I could then hear the high-pitched barking of the two chows. They were out there trying to kill this porcupine!

I grabbed my flashlight and ran out there to try to chase them off of the porcupine. I could see from the light of the flashlight that both chows had faces full of quills, but they were STILL grabbing at the porcupine (who was running around trying to find the way out). I was slipping and sliding in the wet grass and dog poop, and finally managed to get the two chows up the stairs to the deck and into the house. It wasn't until they got inside that they realized they HURT! Then I had three dogs pawing at their faces. My black chow literally looked like an old man with a gray bristley beard.

I called the vet and we headed in .. three hours later I came home with three very groggy dogs (my fourth dog never got a quill - first yelp she heard she ran into the house and hid .. *L*).

I went out the next day and picked up quills all over the back yard. I kept them to make earrings.

Anyone want to buy a pair of PPQ earrings? I think about $700 will cover what I paid for the vet bill .. *LOL*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Members online

No members online now.