Breed Name Slang

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I have this hatred against the word "Heeler". They aren't a "heeler", they are an Australian Cattle Dog. I feel like it's a swear word. Lol. Also, if you misspell it, I will disown you as a human being.

I obviously understand where the term comes from, but it irks me. Also, when they use color: "Oh you have a blue heeler? I have a red heeler!". No. Just no. You have an Australian Cattle Dog who is blue/red. Pick one. And that purple heeler crap? Yeah, just stop.

Anybody else have nicknames for their breed that they hate?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
No, but also hate the word heeler!

I actually rather like that everyone knows what Siri is when I just say that she is a jack.

Maxy24

No, not nicknames, but the color thing bothers me with labs. Why are they ALWAYS referred to by color? My roommate has two labs and someone asked her the other day what breed of dog she had, she said "they are labs", the person said "what kind?"...he wanted to know which color, like it's a whole different breed. I asked my dad what breed of dogs he liked, he said " German Shepherds and black labs". Just the black ones :confused:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I don't know why, but I hate the way it sounds when people just say 'border' instead of border collie. No big deal though, haha. And they are healers, and boarder collies...or bored. And I bread my dog. Oh, and she isn't spade or saved.

Also, I reserve the right to call Malinois mals because I don't trust myself to spell it correctly on a regular basis. :rofl1:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I like the word heeler but that's just what they're called in Texas.

I just get annoyed by how many breed sites misspell papillon. At the last trial I was at there were probably 8 or so papillons running and they did not spell the breed correctly. Papillion. Yep. Even the agility trial cannot spell my breed.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The word heeler to me is kind of like pitbull. Just sort of a generic name for a type of dog.

I also hate that Labradors are differentiated by color. "Mom was a Yellow Lab and Dad was a Black, so the puppies aren't papered." Um, wut? They're the same breed, people!

I wish more people knew what a Chessie was, so I didn't have to say Chesapeake Bay Retriever every single time someone asks me his breed.

xpaeanx

Yeah, I think heeler is a southern thing... I grew up knowing them as heelers and it was only a few years ago I even heard ACD. LOL. I don't call them heelers anymore but my family sure does! So I hear it all the time. It doesn't bother me at all.

But yeah, the color thing did always make me wonder. Red/blue heeler.... Black/yellow/chocolate lab... But most other dogs are just called by their breed only. IDK.

What bothers me is when people call Corgis GORKis. WTF people?!?! It is clearly spelt CORG! And they'll spell it correctly but pronounce it wrong? Other breeds I can understand the mispronunciation... But this is a little extreme.

Locke

Standard poodles are often referred to as Spoos...which is okay I guess. But what really irks me is when people call their other sized poodles "poos"...why, just why????

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Oh, and on the note of standard poodles...yes it cracks me up when people refer to them as STD Poodles. :rofl1:

thehoundgirl

Pittie annoys the crap out of me if you are referring to an APBT. Pibble annoys me too but not as bad as pittie does.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I don't mind the nick names for Sheena's breed. Most just say Shepherd or white shepherd. I prefer German Shedder. It is WAY more accurate at certain times of the year. lol Daya people mistake for a GSD but I can understand their confusion since the Berger Blanc Suisse is not as popular yet and many are not aware of the separation of the two breeds through the FCI.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Vizslas don't have slang. I can Penn a Vizzy but I'm pretty sure no one else uses it + half the world just gives me a blank stare when I say I own a Vizsla. God help us if they start going by all kinds of different names!

Funny side note- I call Weims weimy-eimies and people legit think that is the breed name. Opossum. Still hilarious though!

Slick

Kristina
For some reason, I really don't like "border" or "collie". They are just "border collies". "BC" is also ok. I have no rhyme or reason as to why I am so picky, I just am :rolleyes:

Pops2

I have this hatred against the word "Heeler". They aren't a "heeler", they are an Australian Cattle Dog. I feel like it's a swear word. Lol. Also, if you misspell it, I will disown you as a human being.

I obviously understand where the term comes from, but it irks me. Also, when they use color: "Oh you have a blue heeler? I have a red heeler!". No. Just no. You have an Australian Cattle Dog who is blue/red. Pick one. And that purple heeler crap? Yeah, just stop.

Anybody else have nicknames for their breed that they hate?
i am just the opposite, i love heelers but am luke warm toward australian cattle dogs. AAANNND here's why
australia has multiple breeds of dog that work cattle (some are originally sheep dogs but still have the grit for cattle) including smithfields, collies, koolies, and kelpies (also called barbs). additionally the "official" breed history takes them back to thomas hall and his dogs which were referred to as hall's heelers (long before they became ACDs). and finally the differences in name give a person some idea of the type of dog (and person) they are dealing with. if someone INSISTS on ACD, then i know they are coming from a show fancy perspective and know them from that angle. OTH if someone insists on heeler then I know they are either coming from a working stockdog or yarddog perspective and they know the dogs from one of those angles.

although i use it in order to be understood, i hate the word houla. coming froma family with a lot of TX cattle men, i have known them as leopard dogs or leopard curdogs until about the early 2000s. it was probably 01 or 02 that i first heard them called catahoulas. but then all i had ever known before then were working cow & hog dogs and NALC was a whole new animal to me.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
"Collie" for Border Collie....It's just confusing. When I hear Collie I think of Rough/Smooth Lassie style Collie.

The spelling "Boarder" also pisses me off.
The definition of boarder is as follows: "a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services."

WHERE IS MY PAYMENT COBAIN? :rofl1:

Also things like
"blue/red nose pit" all that says to me is that you aren't entirely colourblind and probably got your dog from a pisspoor breeder.
Granted, I am not the most well versed in the APBT world, but from what I've seen online I'm beginning to think that's not a reputable term.

thehoundgirl

Pretty sure blue nose/red nose is a BYB term. Responsible APBT breeders I know do not use that term.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
For legitimate nicknames (not just gross misspellings, etc.) for breeds I actually own...

Flat-Coated Retrievers are usually either FCRs, FCs, Flatcoats, or Flatties. A lot of FCR people dislike "Flatties" but I don't really care. I don't like FCs, though. Include the R, people! :p

Border Collies are usually BCs or Borders. Not a big fan of Borders simply because it's easily confused with Border Terriers, of which we have quite a few in the area.

I hate when people call GSD's "German"s or Malinois "Belgian"s. As in, "Is she a purebred German/Belgian?" Drives me nuts for some stupid reason.

Members online

No members online now.