POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH WItH BUSTER!!!

mrose_s

BusterLove
i was just walking Buster. I was thinking, maybe he isn't part Foxy, he looks a lot like a kelpie. So then it got me thinking, he isn't healing properly, i stop and he comes back straight away, but as soon as we are walking again and I can't stop him pulling unless I stop myself, I know he understands what I'm saying, he just refuses to respond.

So I was thinking, working dogs spend all day with orders being yelled to them and there isn't always time to stop and say "awww good dog" so I tried that, when I got to a corner I said "SIT" and he would, when he started pulling I would say "HEAL" and he would react better then before, I used "goooood boy" very sparringly as he seems to consider it a release word and starts ignoring me again.

I got way better results telling him what to do then asking him. And I don't like ordering him around but he is responding so much better!

I don't reward Tippy when I'm practicing heel with her. If I say, "Gooood Tippy, good girl!" she just gets a burst of energy and rushes forward. Instead, I say in a normal voice, "Good."

Doberluv

I got way better results telling him what to do then asking him. And I don't like ordering him around but he is responding so much better!
I think your voice and the command is coming out clearly and concisely so he's knowing just what you want. Sounds good!

I always reward when a dog is doing what I am wanting them to do. When Lyric is where I want him while we're walking, he gets periodic treats and "goooooooood heel" (or if not heel, but a loose leash walk, then, "gooood walkies") LOL...in my squeeky, happy voice. When he is not in the position I want him in, he doesn't. He knows where he needs to be in order to get rewarded. And he loves those treats. LOL. You gotta make it worth their while...give them lots of motivation and a great reward to work toward.

I reward Tippy, but not in my super duper happy voice otherwise she gets a huge burst of energy and throws herself forward. I tell she's good in a regular voice. If she gets out of position, I say, "Hey!" and put her back in place.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've got the same problem with Sawyer; if I reward him for doing what I ask, then he bounds ahead. He is getting a bit better about staying in "heel" when praised, but he still moves forward a few paces, just to prove he can I guess.

Members online

No members online now.