new lab owner

beefy

Hi , How are you all doing?

Roughly 5 months ago I bought a beautiful black lab puppy from a breeder that lived close to me. I am more then happy wtih the dog, he is now 7 months and keeps growing.

The problem that I am having with him is that he is always attacking my hands, not in a bad way, but he always wants to fight, it seems the only time that he ever calms down at all is when their is food around or its bed time for him.

Does anyone have any suggesions?? He understands the word "no" for everything else... however when I tell him no about the hands, he just keep persisting

hi Beefy, I am a newbie to the dog forum as well
I breed german shepherds and I hear ya when you talk about the hand biting
what I do is throw my hands up like I surrender and say OFF, if they persist turn your back on the dog hands still up
if you ignore the dog it will leave you alone
when the puppy is good, sitting etc. thats when you give it praise and pet it
the puppy will soon learn he will be ignored when biting and will get your attention when he's good
hope this helps !

Bon

bubbatd

I agree...they have to learn it's a no-no !!! This could have started when you wrestled him as a pup.... something I don't condone. What you put into a pup is what you get out of them. I'd suggest gentle grooming with brush and hands ...if he grabs hands , say no chew and go back to brush. He'll soon learn ( I hope !)

Last edited:
I would like to add.. when he does his puppy bites to you that hurt, cry like another dog/puppy would. Show him it HURTS when he does this to you! And it's not all fun and games! He should learn his boundaries from this...

Barb04

Super Moderator
I feel for you Beefy. My 12 week old pup has sharp teeth and thinks I'm the chew toy.

Members online

No members online now.