Puppy pains?

Kozdog

Can an 11 week old rottweiler pup have growing pains or muscle aches? My puppy will whimper and yelp out of nowhere when nothing/nobody is near him. He is very active and has been playing with bigger dogs lately. It has only been 24 hrs since this yelping started. He has grown extremely quickly in the past few weeks. We don't think the other dogs have anything to do with it as he has been around them many times in the past few weeks. Please let me know if you have any ideas about this. Thanks.

Dekka

Just try me..
I would call your breeder and ask them if it normal for those pups to have this issue. Were the parents health tested? If its not normal.. or the 'breeder' isn't one who doe health tests call the vet.

bubbatd

I did have one litter where an owner went over to adult food too quickly and the pup grew too quickly resulting in hip problems .

Dekka

Just try me..
grammy... adult food is less growth inducing.. that is why giant breeds need to go off puppy food faster as its too rich and makes them grow fast. Adult food is much less nutrient dense than puppy food.

Kozdog

He s on Diamond puppy food, but question sounds silly, can large breed pups have growing pains or muscle aches from exercise???

lizzybeth727

Puppies can absolutely have growing pains.

All dogs can have muscle pain. My dog got shots the other day, it's OBVIOUS she has muscle aches!

But, I THINK that growing pains are less common in puppies this young. Hopefully one of our rottie breeders will come on here and answer that. And if he's actually having muscle aches, then it will be important to give him a rest for a few days to let him recover, before letting him go play with the big dogs again!

bubbatd

Lizzy , this is a friend of ours and I hope Redy steps in !!! Chaz was recommended to her because of the knowledge here . I've known her since she and Amy were in 1st grade . ! Lovely gal !

lizzybeth727

I hope that I treat all chazzers like friends, at least unless there is reason not to.

Kozdog, maybe you could PM RedyreRottweilers for some more info, she's one of our resident rottie experts, but I don't know if she looks at the puppy forum very often.

bubbatd

I've already alerted Redy through a PM /// that's why we suggested Chaz help . Hang in gal !!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think your pup is growing too fast. This happened with 2 of mine and I switched from large breed puppy to an All Life Stages dog food which helped.

R

RedyreRottweilers

A puppy of 11 weeks should not have these issues. I would recommend you see your vet for an exam. What is the puppy doing when he cries out? Do you know what health testing was done on the parents? How much does this puppy weigh at 11 weeks?

I would get rid of the puppy food immediately and feed him a good adult food. I would also get this: Nature's Farmacy - Store - Product Details and start him on it immediately. I keep all my puppies on this until at least 18 months.

Members online