Alpha role

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I was in my backyard raking (very tireing with the cast) when I saw a guy in the park playing with his lab off leash. Well the lab is running and grabbing the frisby the guy throws and I am thinking how cute. Then I see my moms friends kids who were coming back through the park to my house and the lab comes running full speed toward them. The guy starts yelling that the dog is friendly and won't bite, since they looked a bit frightened from the dog running at them. Well the guy starts screaming angrily to the dog calling it in a very angry tone. I was thinking that if I was the dog I wouldn't come to anyone screaming like that at me!
Anyways the dog finaly goes running back to the guy and he does a alpha role right there!!! :eek: I was very mad to see this! I guess I just don't think it's right for a person to do that to a dog. It doesn't make the dog want to come to you next time. And guess what! The guy lets the dog go and it runs straight away from the guy as fast as possible and doesn't come when called.
SO I was just a bit angry to see this and would never do that to my dogs! That poor lab looked maybe 1 or 2 yrs old
The worst part is when tmy moms friends kids come back they asked me why the guy did that and I explained the whole alpha role deal and why it isn't a good thing to do in my opinion and of course my dad came out and said that it's the best way to gain respect. He totally said that you will never gain an animals respect if it doesn't know who is boss and the only way to do that is to do the alpha role and give it a good wack when it mis-behaves!! :mad:
Got me thinking what happens to Chloe and Lucas when I'm not home :(
They are really well behaved though and he usually works days, but I know neither dogs like's my dad and never go up to him wagging tails. THey always look like they are cowering with tails tucked between their legs and ears back head towards ground looking like they are gonna get in trouble.
Is it really fair to put them in that kind of situation?
Even though I love them and do all I can to keep them happy, if my dad is doing these things is it right for me to keep them here?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
BAbyBlue i dont' know what to say, im sorry. I am sure your dogs know more than u think they do..hopefully they too can keep a low profile until u are around. Dogs are pretty good at things like that. Do u feel he would abuse them in any other way..i know how important they are to you and your surviving this last year in this situation. If they can stay out of his way, then they should be with u..but if they are not safe, then you have a decision to make..omg i am just so sorry

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I feel bad because I know he has kicked Lucas before! I felt really bad for letting it happen and cried the entire night about it. I just don't know what he would do and really don't like the idea of giving them up. I really love them and I can't think of life with out them, but I don't wanna be selfish. I want what's best for them even if it means I will have to live without them....I just don't know. :(

Part of your decision needs to depend on whether you think they would be happier in the long run enduring your Dad at times but being with you, or escaping him and having to leave you behind.

Another thing you have to consider is can you be sure they would go somewhere that they would be better cared for.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
Part of your decision needs to depend on whether you think they would be happier in the long run enduring your Dad at times but being with you, or escaping him and having to leave you behind.

Another thing you have to consider is can you be sure they would go somewhere that they would be better cared for.
Putting it that way it seems they would be better with me.....which makes me happy :)
I am just worried about them and what might happen when I leave in a year. I doubt I would be able to take two big dogs with me to college. Lucas is really attatched to me and so is Chloe. They both are always following me around, not to the point of seperation anxiety, but to the point they are almost always with me.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think I need to think about this for a while....my head hurts so I guess I should go....plus school tomorrow and dad has the day off. :(
I'll figures something out I guess.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
did u ever read my charlie post in rainbow bridge?

Start looking across that bridge when it's closer. Have you figured out what college you're going to? Whether you'll be living in a dorm or in an apartment or a house with roommates?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
Start looking across that bridge when it's closer. Have you figured out what college you're going to? Whether you'll be living in a dorm or in an apartment or a house with roommates?
I am trying for udub. It's in Washington state. I like the medical they have, but don't particuraly like living in Washington. As for living in a house or apartment or dorm I'm not sure. I would love to live in a house or apartment rather than a dorm, but really don't know how that would work out.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
smkie said:
did u ever read my charlie post in rainbow bridge?
That was so sad I almost cried. :( It's just horrible to think of what some people do to our beloved dogs. I just got done giving lucas and Chloe a BIG hur and kiss and I hope I never give them up. I'll try my hardest to keep them safe and stay with me. I don't want them to get hurt I love them so much. I feel horrible even thinking about giving them to anyone else. :(

I'm gonna start looking at housing and maybe if I can manage a job I could pay for a apartment or house that would let me take Chloe and Lucas and then they could be with me, and maybe roomates if possible.

If you're going to try for pre-med, there are usually other pre-med students who are looking for roommates so they don't have to live in a noisy dorm. Lots of studying!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
If you're going to try for pre-med, there are usually other pre-med students who are looking for roommates so they don't have to live in a noisy dorm. Lots of studying!
Ok that's good news. Then it might not be as hard to find some roomates. How early do you think I can start looking for roomates?
Probably not till the end of highschool huh?

I've already started doing some essays for the admission applications and looking at application fee's and trying to save all my money.

You be sure to get your counselors to help you find scholarships! Nag if you have to. You'll need to have some back-up colleges too.

UT-Knoxville has a one of the better med programs in the country as well - and there's plenty of off-campus housing available.

CreatureTeacher lives in one of the cities in Colorado with a college or university - you might ask her about it too.

I've got to stagger off to bed - been staying up too late :eek:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
You be sure to get your counselors to help you find scholarships! Nag if you have to. You'll need to have some back-up colleges too.

UT-Knoxville has a one of the better med programs in the country as well - and there's plenty of off-campus housing available.

CreatureTeacher lives in one of the cities in Colorado with a college or university - you might ask her about it too.

I've got to stagger off to bed - been staying up too late :eek:

Ok I will be sure to nag those couselers lol :p
Actually the couselers like me very much. She says I'm a great student, but a little quiet. Anyways I'll talk to her abou that and will do some reasearch on UT-Knoxville to see what that has.

Thanks for the help and be careful!. We don't want you to fall on your way to bed :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
don't forget assisted living too..there are a lot of older people that need a hand, and might have a yard or garage appt just to have someone around to help out..it is just one more option. You have a year to check everything out twice..(that leaping before you look that i never learned until i got older..haha)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
smkie said:
don't forget assisted living too..there are a lot of older people that need a hand, and might have a yard or garage appt just to have someone around to help out..it is just one more option. You have a year to check everything out twice..(that leaping before you look that i never learned until i got older..haha)
Ohhh smkie that's a good idea! I would have no problem helping someone out, depending on if the person was nice, if they needed it and me getting a place to stay. That would be awesome! :) I'll defientely check around! thanks!

GSDFan05

I'm starting college in the fall and, like you, I was really unhappy about being sentenced to a life without dogs. I researched over a year ahead of time, though, and was able to find housing that allowed large pets, it IS possible, just do your work ahead of time. Also, some colleges require freshmen to live in the dorms, so definitely check your school's policies before going to the trouble of finding housing in that area.

Good luck with your admissions process!

Members online

No members online now.