Aussie,PyrShep or BC

I know both PyrShep(I've had 4)and BC(we had a working male),well.
I,also,spent a lot of time,in Fl with both Aussies and BC as I was on a flyball team and my neighbour with whom I walked with,nearly everyday has 5 of them and does rescue.
In energy level,the PyrShep is higher(his nickname,in Fr is:Mr 100000 volts) than both Aussie and BC.
This was confirmed by the BC breeder who does both breeds.
I have found 2 great breeders:eek:ne who breeds beautiful Aussies and the other one who does both BC and PyrShep.Both breeders health test their dogs even if not,always,indicated under the dog's name or in pedigree and show.
Had a long talk,with the BC/Pyrshep breeder and really have a good feeling.
What do you think of her dogs?:
BORDER COLLIE
As for the Aussie breeder,I will talk to her,this WE:
Berger Australien - elevage du domaine d'arinella bianca

I've always had herding breeds and just,want another one.
This would not happen until a yr or 2 but DH is thinking of getting a couple of sheep(4 or 5) and I,only,agreed if I could get a herding dog as I'm done running after sheep,like I did when my father had 600+ escape artists.

Sparrow

Can you try to post the links again? They aren't working. I like what I've seen about Pyrs, but haven't met one. I'd love to hear anything you have to share about them. :popcorn:

Sparrow

I'm mostly wondering what they're like to live with day to day. Do they have an off switch? They seem perfect as far as being a running/hiking/agility buddy, but I want a dog I can live with and just chil out with as well.

How have yours been with strangers and other people in general?

Yes,they have an off switch if well exercise!.
I had one while I lived in Paris,Fr and she did well but she was bomb-proof and was exercised,for a couple of hrs,a day!.
Training is a must and so is socializing or you will have a shy dog.
It is part of the standard,for the dog,to be standoffish but shy is a big no,no.
They are one of my favorite herding breeds and would recommend it if you are very active and into training as they need a lot of mental stimulation.

Aleron

Hi! I think we've "met" on other boards. I have a PyrShep named Savvy. Of course, I think that's what you should choose ;)

What you were told about PyrSheps being more high energy than BCs or Aussies is totally true IME. Savvy is way more...busy than any BC or Aussie I have know. Busier than the Belgians too! Savvy is like a whirlwind. I'm actually not entirely sure how people have multiple young PyrSheps. I'm not entirely sure Savvy is all the way domesticated either ;) Really though, I have had high energy herding breeds forever but Savvy is the dog that made me get a treadmill. Hyperactive is part of the breed's charm.

I love the breed, really love them. They are very endearing and funny, not to mention way too cute for their own good. Savvy is super smart and hands down, the most athletic dog I've ever had. He loves to leap, balance, fling and run as very fast as he can....just for the fun of it.

I love Silvia Trkman's description of them in her BC vs PyrShep article:

"I’m getting many questions on differences between BCs and PSs and well, there sure are many! I always laugh when people call BCs high energy and in desperate need of a daily job… Obviously, they never met a PyrShep! Personally, I find BCs extremely easy to live with. Sure, they love running and working, but can also survive without it for a day or two, lying quitely at your feet. PyrShep can’t do that. First of all, they don’t lie by anybody’s feet. They either jump in your lap or are checking something out, they always look like they had too much coffee or maybe something stronger. It’s a kind of a dog that is difficult to live with, but for those of us who find them irresistibly cute, impossible to live without."
http://www.lolabuland.com/2010/06/25/bc-vs-ps/

Actually multiple PyrSheps makes everyday life,a lot easier cos they play hard and for hrs.I've always had 2 together and would recommend it.
Male/female is yr best bet although I've always had multiple breeds(Leos,Hovas,Dack and Pyrs Shep),together.
They definitly need to know their place or they will take over!.
Aleron:
It's YOUR fault if I'm back at looking into potentially getting another one and as such you owe us some pix!.
BTW,I totally agree with Silvia Trikman.

i

Aleron

Actually multiple PyrSheps makes everyday life,a lot easier cos they play hard and for hrs.I've always had 2 together and would recommend it.
LOL that's what Savvy's breeder told me too! His play style is offense to a lot of dogs. Very rough and he doesn't really notice if the other dog isn't having fun. He isn't aggressive, he's p;aying but most dog's don't like it LOL He's gotten a bit better about that as he's gotten older but whenever he's introduced to a new, smaller than him dog or puppy I have to go back to managing him really closely with that dog for awhile. I taught him to play nice with a toy dog rescue I had, so he can learn to be more inhibited. But he likes to be crazy!

Male/female is yr best bet although I've always had multiple breeds(Leos,Hovas,Dack and Pyrs Shep),together.
They definitly need to know their place or they will take over!.
Aleron:
It's YOUR fault if I'm back at looking into potentially getting another one and as such you owe us some pix!.
BTW,I totally agree with Silvia Trikman.

i
Yes because pictures will definitely not make you want a cute, scruffy, wild PyrShep of your very own ;)

And this picture especially would make no one want a PyrShep:

OK GIRL,you are NOT playing FAIR!
Yr boy is adorable and love his focus,on you.
They excel in dog sport and are great little watchdogs.
Is he a face rase?.
They are suppose to be calmer than the rough coated ones:imagine that,lol!.

Aleron

OK GIRL,you are NOT playing FAIR!
Yr boy is adorable and love his focus,on you.
They excel in dog sport and are great little watchdogs.
Is he a face rase?.
They are suppose to be calmer than the rough coated ones:imagine that,lol!.
Thanks! He's such an awesome dog. He's more guardy than I expected, that guardyness bothers me at all. He's definitely is the most natural agility dog I have ever had or even seen. He taught himself to do the full sized teeter, on his own as a young puppy. Because "Wow! It moves! This is so much fun!".

He was a face rase as a puppy but now he's what people here call a Demi - he's got some hair on his face and a "demi-long" coat. He's also a bit bigger than I expected, 18" and about 30lbs. I say that hopefully LOL we'll see when he gets measured for agility.

Actually,males should be,around that height.
I like them, on the tall side.
People in the States want them,smaller cos cuter.
Both my girls were 17in & 17,5 in for 11/12kgs and both boys were 18 & 18,5 in for 14/15kgs.
All 4 were rough-coated and excellent watchdogs.Better than any other breeds,I've had cos they are always,on the move.

Aleron

Actually,males should be,around that height.
I like them, on the tall side.
People in the States want them,smaller cos cuter.
The FCI and AKC standard are fairly close in terms of size. AKC does allow an inch less 15 1/2 for males vs. FCI's 16 1/2 for males. FCI allows a bit taller for males but not much - 18.8" vs AKC's 18". However the FCI standard allows about an inch leeway either way, and AKC only 1/2", which makes the standard fairly close. It's even closer on the low end of the standard for bitches. AKC is 15" (15.5" for smooth faces) and FCI is 15.7". Up to 18" for both but the AKC standard allows up to 20 1/2" for smooth faced bitches and 21" for smooth faced males.

So the AKC standard allows for a much taller dog in some circumstances. It does allow for a bit smaller of a dog too. Keep in mind that breed is rare in the US, so allowing a bit more variation in the standard is probably a good thing. I have been around quite a good number of PyrSheps over the years and there's a big size range in the US (have been to their National several times), even within dogs from the same breeder. I don't think anyone here is breeding for undersized dogs because most is not all of the US breeders show in conformation. But there certainly are some undersized PyrSheps here and some oversized ones. I like a breed with a good bit of size variation. It allows for people to have their preferences and for more dogs to be considered worthy of being bred. Groenendeal in the US have a HUGE size range the minimum for bitches is 20 1/2" and the maximum for males is 27 1/2". Some people want to increase the minimum size now but I really hope that doesn't happen.

Both my girls were 17in & 17,5 in for 11/12kgs and both boys were 18 & 18,5 in for 14/15kgs.
All 4 were rough-coated and excellent watchdogs.Better than any other breeds,I've had cos they are always,on the move.
Your boys were pretty much exactly Savvy's size :)

Savvy's dad is a French import actually: http://www.pyrs.net/dogpsclipper.html

And his mom is a wild looking SF: http://www.pyrs.net/dogpspippa.html

No doubt they are always on the move...and always listening! Savvy likes to perch on the highest thing he can find in the yard (the table on the deck), keep a look out over all the surrounding yards and listen for noises.

These are some photos I took at the US PyrShep National this year: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151006127135850.488109.713490849&type=3

Pixs!.

OK girl,pixs are not fair game and I'm really starting to long,for another one!.
I so miss their mischief and undevoted love!.
BTW,I wasn't talking about yr boy but the PyrShep,i've met in the States that were smaller and when I talked to some breeder,they did mention that they were,often,smaller and that 18in,was considered tall.
Here are a couple of photos:
Top left,you have my 1st PyrShep called Croquie.
The others are Daisy & Ego!.

Daisy & Ego:

Cute Daisy:

La Palissade(1m80/6ft)

Aleron

OK girl,pixs are not fair game and I'm really starting to long,for another one!.
I so miss their mischief and undevoted love!.
LOL You know you want one! There's not any other breed quite like them I don't think :)

BTW,I wasn't talking about yr boy but the PyrShep,i've met in the States that were smaller and when I talked to some breeder,they did mention that they were,often,smaller and that 18in,was considered tall.
18" is the top of the standard for RFs here. The biggest PyrShep I have seen is I think 22" tall :O

Love your photos, especially the dog going over the wall! Savvy is very good at that too...I had to build my fence up to keep him in.

Members online

No members online now.