nipping ?

Hi all, need some help with my Lhasa apso she will be 4 mos. in a couple of days. She wont stop biting our hands or our feet when we are playing with her or just petting her :confused:
I have tried almost everything to get her to stop. I have tried the "NO" for awhile then tried the "STOP" for awhile - tried short blows on a whistle, which would stop her for like 2 sec. then she would come back at me. She does this to the whole family not just me and also to whom ever comes to the house. It seems the more I try to correct her the more she does it. Like when I tell her "STOP" she will for a sec. ( I praise her at that time ) but as soon as I praise her she comes back even more harder at me. She has started to break the skin on the top of my feet and my hands. I have tried holding her mouth and saying "STOP" also but now she knows when I try to grab her mouth she runs away but then comes back and nips me again before I can get ahold or her :rolleyes: Someone told me when she does this, say "STOP" and walk away from her but when I do that, she runs after me and thats when she nips my feet. I even tried wearing shoes but she goes after the laces or my pant legs. Sometimes I think she just wants to play, but I cant play all day with her :p Does anyone know if that bitter apple stuff works or anything else maybe that I could put on my hands that she would not like the taste of ? maybe then she wont chew my hands :rolleyes:
Thanks for the help~

Saje

Island dweller
there are lots of threads on the forum on this issue. If you do a search you should be able to find what you need.

In a nutshell don't reward the behaviour. Talking to her, grabbing her... that is all a reward for her. You're turning it into a game.

Instead, when she bites ignore her completely. Stop all play and walk away. If the fun stops abruptly she'll get the idea.

If she chases you and bites your ankles then gently pick her up and put her in a time out for a few minutes. Don't say anything when you do that. Just walk her to a puppy-proof time out room. Only keep her in there for a few minutes but don't let her out if she's making a big fuss. If she's been quite for 10 seconds let her out.

Be consistent. this isn't going to work immediately but you have to follow through, do it everytime and keep at it for weeks.

good luck!

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I agree with Saje, you have unintentionally been rewarding the behaviour! It's a great game for her and she enjoys it.
Also, introducing a rousing game of tug instead of "Bite and wrestle with Mum".

I agree with Saje and Bridey, just ignore her. She will eventually realize that if she wants your attention, she can't bite at you.

Maybe you could use toys as an alternative. Try a tennis ball or a rope tug toy. Our little dogs love the rope, and even golf balls keep our Schipperkees amused. Give her something that she knows is ok to bite and play with and she won't use you as a perpetual chew toy.

I've used the bitter apple spray on our furniture and carpet to stop our dogs from chewing. It works well for me, but it stinks to high heaven and I would definately not want to put it on my hands. Anywhere else, it works wonders.

Members online

No members online now.