AC's Comment from DC's Beach Pics Thread -- Moved

darkchild16

We are Home.
Walker looks normal Im looking at him now, he has 3 spine bones that poke up ALWAYS, his hip bones always look poking out because of the fur and his ribs are covered in a layer of fat. One of the pictures was taken mid bark (look at the hair on the back of his neck its straight up) and the other he was breathing heavy from a intense beach run. He was affected yes but only by a few pounds, and when you have no other choice but one where the dog will get put to sleep (rescue wont adopt a dog out that has seizures and rotten teeth at his age) hes a senile old fart or get him right back in condition and do what you can in a week and a halfish. If anyone thinks I did it by choice because I wanted him that way they are sadly mistaken but I tried whawt I could and did what I could, I kept uping his food so that maybe no matter how much it was he would at least retain some, (he was up to 10 cups in 5 small meals at one point)

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I know greyhounds are a bit on the thin side. And I am not accusing you of not taking care of your dog. You are a chazzer, you love your dogs!
I really do think you should take him to the vet though to look for underlying conditions. I just cannot see how a dog would get that thin just from being on gravy train for such a short period of time. And since he is a senior, thats even MORE of a reason to vet him.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I have talked to the vet and been in constant contact with him since then (i dont know any here yet and we are going home soon anyway (so if it comes to that he will see my family vet) And he feels there is no cause for concern yet, hes already tested before for EPI and all that and he is saying the same thing the grey people and every other pro i talk to does, that he wasnt getting what he needed and since he is already kept at a weight where losing a pound even puts him under weight that as long as he is bouncing back and is still acting the same then there is no cause for concern. If my vet thought a thing was wrong with him other then diet then he would be having me run tests, my vet is actually known to over test.

Personally I think Walker looks great and I would kill for Kaylee to look like that. Unfortunately she's the antithesis of Scirrocco and gains weight by just looking at food.

I may not have owned any sighthounds but since a Saluki is my dream dog I have researched. I understand that a sighthound at when at the ideal weight for racing, hunting or working in general they will show weight loss fast and extreme because they don't have it there to loose.

Personally I don't think he looks that bad, yes he needs to gain some weight but I would never think it was extremely dire. Actually, he looks a lot like what I think a friend of mine who's dog would look like if we shaved him. He's a collie/greyhound mix that hates food. He's about 14 now and still as skinny as ever, you just can't see it because of all the hair. But, he's in great health except for his teeth because he's been underweight rather than overweight his whole life.

I would rather see an underweight dog than an overweight dog anyday.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people think my pup Kaylee is ideal/skinny when she needs to loose weight.

But I'm sorry, I like to see a rib or two on most in shape sighthounds

Good luck with his weight gain!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I just cannot see how a dog would get that thin just from being on gravy train for such a short period of time.
I have a dog that would likely get THAT thin just from being on a food like gravy train for a week or two. I had an incredibly difficult time finding Tyr a food that would keep weight on him. When he was younger, and I was still looking for food that would keep weight on him, there was a brief period when he did come close to being that thin - just from being on a food that didn't work for him for a few days. Heartbreaking? Absolutely. Neglect? Nope.

I know first hand that it can happen that way, and I seriously hope these dogs are able to put the needed weight back on soon. I would suggest running a fecal chemistry on them. When Ares had weight issues, we did that for him (I'd never heard of such a test prior to that) and discovered that he didn't have sufficient beneficial bacteria. A good probiotic supplement was given and he recovered beautifully.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Personally I think Walker looks great and I would kill for Kaylee to look like that. Unfortunately she's the antithesis of Scirrocco and gains weight by just looking at food.

I may not have owned any sighthounds but since a Saluki is my dream dog I have researched. I understand that a sighthound at when at the ideal weight for racing, hunting or working in general they will show weight loss fast and extreme because they don't have it there to loose.

Personally I don't think he looks that bad, yes he needs to gain some weight but I would never think it was extremely dire. Actually, he looks a lot like what I think a friend of mine who's dog would look like if we shaved him. He's a collie/greyhound mix that hates food. He's about 14 now and still as skinny as ever, you just can't see it because of all the hair. But, he's in great health except for his teeth because he's been underweight rather than overweight his whole life.

I would rather see an underweight dog than an overweight dog anyday.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people think my pup Kaylee is ideal/skinny when she needs to loose weight.

But I'm sorry, I like to see a rib or two on most in shape sighthounds

Good luck with his weight gain!

Walkers weight got Awws and Ohhhs from the Ac so im not worried. She said hes the only dog she has seen around here that true to his weight and size proportion.

Thats exactly what happens with them, think of a model that is at the PERFECT weight for them if they lose any they look anorexic, same with dogs expecially a dog with a high metabolism.

I know greyhounds are a bit on the thin side. And I am not accusing you of not taking care of your dog. You are a chazzer, you love your dogs!
I really do think you should take him to the vet though to look for underlying conditions. I just cannot see how a dog would get that thin just from being on gravy train for such a short period of time. And since he is a senior, thats even MORE of a reason to vet him.
You'd be amazed at how fast a food like that can take weight off of a dog, especially one with a fast metabolism :( I've seen it go fast on a dog with a NORMAL metabolism.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I have a dog that would likely get THAT thin just from being on a food like gravy train for a week or two. I had an incredibly difficult time finding Tyr a food that would keep weight on him. When he was younger, and I was still looking for food that would keep weight on him, there was a brief period when he did come close to being that thin - just from being on a food that didn't work for him for a few days. Heartbreaking? Absolutely. Neglect? Nope.

I know first hand that it can happen that way, and I seriously hope these dogs are able to put the needed weight back on soon. I would suggest running a fecal chemistry on them. When Ares had weight issues, we did that for him (I'd never heard of such a test prior to that) and discovered that he didn't have sufficient beneficial bacteria. A good probiotic supplement was given and he recovered beautifully.

We have discussed doing one when I move back in a weekish but that there is no dire need for it. He went from eating Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete mixed with the regualr chicken and rice, to a little mixture of everything (evo rm, wellness, eagle pack (i think was in there) for a week and a half (thanks to izzy i will never be able to thank her enough for that) to eating gravy train.

And hes getting a half cup of straight plain probiotic yogurt with his food at every feeding too) We are trying to promote a slow gain but his body isnt having it.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
different dogs metabolisms can be a funny thing--look how many here ask for advice due to feeding issues.
I feed both of my boys Taste of the wild. When Wilson first arrived here, I was using the waterfowl formula--no problem. But for a change, I bought a different 'flavor"--the bison mix I think. Anyway--by the end of the bag, Baxter had GAINED three pounds, and Wilson had LOST five. I hadn't changed the amount I gave either of them.
When I switched back to the waterfowl, they both returned to their previous weight. It doesn't take much to create imbalance for our pups.

darkchild16

We are Home.
FYI- He went from eating thiese Diamond Natural foods
Dry Food
Extreme Athlete
Some dogs just seem to be born as natural athletes. Other dogs work long and hard to develop their endurance and skill. Specifically formulated with optimal levels of protein and fat to fuel your hard-working dog, Extreme Athlete is designed to meet the needs of growing puppies and pregnant or nursing adult dogs, and all the nutritional needs of your program.

Protein: 32% Fat: 25%
Calories: 4,710 kcal/kg (470 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Sizes Available: 40 lb. and 6 oz. sample

mixed 50/50 with this
Dry Food
Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Formula
The 26% protein and 16% fat formula will provide your dog with the nutrients necessary for optimal health and an active life. Guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium ensure that your dog is receiving optimum antioxidant nutrition, and crunchy kibble helps clean teeth and reduce plaque.

Protein: 26% Fat: 16%
Calories: 3,708 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Sizes Available: 40 lb. and 6 oz. sample

to this
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein ............not less than 21.0%
Crude Fat ..................not less than 8.0%
Crude Fiber ...............not more than 4.0%
Moisture ....................not more than 10.0%

Ingredients:
Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
to this
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein ............not less than 21.0%
Crude Fat ..................not less than 8.0%
Crude Fiber ...............not more than 4.0%
Moisture ....................not more than 10.0%

Ingredients:
Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).
Regardless of the lack of quality ingredients and the plethora of garbage, none of mine would be able to survive on 8 % fat.

yoko

The dogs spine ALWAYS shows the dogs hips ALWAYS protrude some, yet you notice his leg muscles are still the way they have always been (hint emaciated dogs dont have muscle )
I never said yet again that he is where he is suppossed to be at but he doesnt have that muscle layer
i know this is confusing i'm actually posting something that goes with the other thread. but i kind of wanted to leave it as a beach thread and this as the weight thread.]

you've said 2 different things. it is prob from becoming defensive but you should probably read over what you post before posting because those look like two conflicting statements

darkchild16

We are Home.
The post that the rib part was refering to
On those dogs you can't count individual ribs. You see where the ribcage it, but it's covered in muscle. You don't see any vertebrae protruding either, or hips.

the layer of muscle comment was about his ribs (even healthy he doesnt have that),

the other was his legs where all his muscle is. Plus it was 5ish in the morning so if i was somewhat incoherent LOL thats why.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
!

i honestly dont know a dog alive that could.
My dad feeds his Chessie 3 cups a day of Gravy Train and he's at a good weight (about 75lbs for a 4 year old male Chessie). I keep begging him to change foods because despite his weight being good, Mojo's coat is in horrible condition. His coat sheds constantly and is dried out without any real shine, it doesn't help that he's an outside dog though :rolleyes: He's starting to get treated better though because my dad spends more time with him and wants Mojo to live a long life. (He never really connected with the dog before I moved out and my mom started traveling for work) Your story might be enough to convince my dad to switch for better food!

I can completely understand that a sighthound or really any dog with a high metabolism can loose 10+ pounds in a week. Hell, I can lose 5lbs in a day if I'm not eating anything of substance. A high metabolism dog living on crap food for a week or two will do as poorly as a human living on only white bread and lettuce sandwiches with only mayo for fat.

Good luck getting Scirocco back to a happy weight :)

darkchild16

We are Home.
I wanna know how he gets that result?? Not trying to say he doesnt Im just truely curious?

I used to do the same thing I would eat nothing with any value for DAYS (whatever I happened to have at the house) Mostly BLTS and I lost major weight too and thats with Bacon in my diet. Anything that needs a high metabolic count daily and take that down you are going to get results and usualy not the ones you want. I knew Scirocco would lose weight but didnt expect as much as he did.

Members online

No members online now.