What should be more popular

Well, which ones should be more popular than they are? Done responsibly of course.

My vote to the larger Spaniels. Springers, water spaniels, Boykins and Clumbers. They could really make great dogs for people, but I don't see more around.

Larger than the Cocker, for the medium dog people, some hair, but it is not normally of the GSD insane shedding type, and overall, rather friendly. Springers in particular should probably be more popular than Labs. Any of the bouncy exuberance that gets a lab evicted is at least less severe with the smaller dogs, but they still excel at all the same fun stuff.

I think "responsibly popular" is an oxymoron in this day in age...Are you simply asking which breed would be the best over-all family dog for the first-time dog owner?

If so then I would say Poodles. There is a size to suit everyone and their temperments are fantastic! They are also very willing-to-please and incredibly smart so training is relatively easy.

pop-girl

I agree with Poodles.
I really wanted to get one but my husband said that he didn't want to be seen with a Poodle and would never walk it.
*Imagines husband walking fluffy pink poodle* hehe...how fun!

BostonBanker

But with poodles comes either professional grooming or learning to do it; as a former Bedlington owner, I will never own a dog with those needs again.

While I like springers, I must say, the one Clumber I've known was a heck of a lot of hair and drool - I have a hard time picturing them making it big.

I don't know what should be more popular. But then, I still don't get the lab obsession, so clearly I'm not with the in-crowd.

bubbatd

When it comes to Sporting dogs , I always thought I'd down size to a Springer if I couldn't have a Golden . Now I know it's not size but the personality ! I'm happy with my part Golden mutt !

I see a Beauty that is IMO not easily matched in Irish Setters but I never see them in real life . Always in pics or watching a dog show on tv.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Blackmouth curs, of course! :D I'm absolutely in love with this breed. Zeus is such a sweetheart, and a wonderful dog. I think it's a shame that more people don't know about what great dogs they are. I'd love to be able to breed them someday.

BostonBanker

Blackmouth curs, of course! I'm absolutely in love with this breed. Zeus is such a sweetheart, and a wonderful dog. I think it's a shame that more people don't know about what great dogs they are. I'd love to be able to breed them someday.
:lol-sign: I'll live down the road and breed Mountain Curs, okay? Have you met many other curs? Are they all as nice and amazing as Zeus and Meg? If so, I agree; there should be more out there.

None of them. I wish bulldogs were LESS popular. The day either of my breeds becomes popular will be the day that I switch breeds. Popularity ruins. Plus I don't think just ANYONE should be able to get my dogs. I'd like to see circles closed for the breeds I love: you have to know someone to get one. It would make it a hell of a lot harder to get a dog, and keep the breeds true to what they were developed for.

None of them. I wish bulldogs were LESS popular. The day either of my breeds becomes popular will be the day that I switch breeds. Popularity ruins. Plus I don't think just ANYONE should be able to get my dogs. I'd like to see circles closed for the breeds I love: you have to know someone to get one. It would make it a hell of a lot harder to get a dog, and keep the breeds true to what they were developed for.
Ah that would be great!!!!

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
I don't think any dog should be super popular, but in terms of 'breeds I can't believe more people don't like', hmmmm...possibly greyhounds, or the other breeds of sighthound. I live in an area that has quite a few greyhound breeders because greyhound racing is popular around here but it's not often that you see them as pets. Despite the big push by greyhound adoption agencies here to get people to take them on. I think that's a real shame.
You also don't see a lot of other sighthound around here either.

But, I think I'd hate for them to suddenly get really popular and end up in petshops. I saw whippets in a pet shop once and it made me feel ill. But then again, I get a general feeling of unwell around petshops.

Cass.

Toller_08

I don't think there is a breed out there that should be popular. There is no one breed that will fit the requirements of tons of people, in my opinion, therefore, popularity of any breed always leads to problems. My breed has just recently started gaining in popularity ever since the AKC recognized it in 2003. Even with the small rise, more and more are ending up in shelters and such. If they gain any more popularity, they'll go way down hill I think. The same will happen with any other breed if popularity is gained.

Popularity is usually the kiss of death for breeds, in my experience. I hope danes remain where they are at now, if not less popular even. Alot of people who own them are not suited to own them and are only looking for a living lawn ornament. :mad:

As far as the springers and such being popular, I can see why they are not. The average pet owner has no clue what kind of energy level the sporting/hunting breeds have and are not equipped to handle that. Personally, I've always been fond of springers and brittanys, but I know that with my work schedule and my fondness for laid back weekends, I'd be a lousy owner for an energetic breed that needs to stay busy...

Staff online

Members online