Slightly annoyed...

K

Kaydee

Sigh, it's just stupid but today Sophie came with me to pick up Emmy at day camp like she does every day. There are tables outside the school and parents wait, then step in a classroom to sign the kids out.

Today they were handing out ribbons to say goodbye to some kids who were leaving the group. Ribbons all around it was nice for the kids. We all stepped in the classroom. I stayed by the door with Sophie, she surveyed the room and sat down in back of my legs...my chickendog.

One of the teachers walked up and said "Um, I don't think dogs are allowed in the school, could you tie her outside?".

1. It was 93 degrees outside today, the classroom is air conditioned.

2. We weren't really in the school, it's a resource room off the lot.

3. I never tie Sophie anywhere, she could probably break her leash if she tried hard enough, or have a panic attack and wriggle out of her collar plus whining and crying loudly enough to be heard for miles.

4. She was sitting behind my legs not saying a word. She sees the same people and kids every morning and every afternoon. She mostly sits or stands beside me sniffing the air. If the kids approach to pet her she sits patiently, she might even lick someone in a really friendly mood.

5. In the past parents have brought teacup dogs, a dachshund, a golden during pickups. Last year the dachshund was a regular.

Is it breed bias??? By bringing her in an enclosed room we're setting up a situation for her to start eating children??? I dunno, but it bothered me.:(

K

Kaydee

Bye the bye-No I did not take her out. We waited until the little ribbon ceremony was over. I signed Emmy out and we left like always. Felt like saying " Would you like me to tie YOU out in a steaming parking lot lady???" We'll hang out in this great air conditioning and you can sit out there scratching yourself...

BostonBanker

If you disregarded the fact that other dogs have been in the same room, assuming I understand correctly, I wouldn't have been at all upset by being asked to remove my dog. I love my dogs, they go pretty much anywhere they are allowed with me, but I don't expect anyone else to enjoy their presence. Even if they are being spectacularly well behaved, nobody has to accept them.

In that situation, if there were other dogs who had been in the same room in the past, I would have just said "I'm sorry; I'd seen several dogs in here before and assumed it was okay." And then I would have gone outside with my dog and waited there.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I agree if other dogs have been allowed inside, then you can be too. It's either all dogs or no dogs!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I agree if other dogs have been allowed inside, then you can be too. It's either all dogs or no dogs!
Rules change. All the other dogs were "in the past".

Honestly, it was disrespectful/rude for you not to leave, if you don't want to be asked to wait outside, don't bring her. It's people like that that ruin it for others.

It doesn't matter if it was part of the main school building or another building. If it belonged to the school, it was part of the school and under the same rules. Last I checked, kids that have classes in portables were still expected to follow the schools rules, and it's not attached to the school.

Paige

Let it be
Rules change. All the other dogs were "in the past".

Honestly, it was disrespectful/rude for you not to leave, if you don't want to be asked to wait outside, don't bring her. It's people like that that ruin it for others.

It doesn't matter if it was part of the main school building or another building. If it belonged to the school, it was part of the school and under the same rules. Last I checked, kids that have classes in portables were still expected to follow the schools rules, and it's not attached to the school.
Yupp! My school let me bring my dog for show and tell for YEARS. Even brought the horse once. However, when my sister went to the same school she wasnt allowed to bring the same dog. Rules changed.

K

Kaydee

I suppose so, but putting it a bit more plainly. If a friend with excellent credit, olive skin and dark hair is told the apartment was rented yesterday...but they rent to me on the spot. That's probably racism.

If I bring a maltese, even barking, into a classroom and everybody thinks it's cute. But when it's a quiet, obedient pitbull, suddenly dogs might not be allowed in the building. That's probably breedism.

Small dogs get into supermarkets, libraries, food places everywhere around here. Even with the posted service animal only signs. I'm not going to be nasty and complain...those people are lucky. In "Till Tuesday" the dog WAS a service dog and they still gave him a hard time. maybe they should call it "Sizeism" ???

Paige

Let it be
Is that little dog walking around the store? Quite often not where as no one is carrying their big dog in a giant ass purse discreetly in public. Here little dogs get on public transit and big dogs don't. Part of owning a large dog is they aren't as socially accepted in a lot of places. It stinks but you meet just as many people who scowl and make little dogs feel unwanted as well.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
In that situation, if there were other dogs who had been in the same room in the past, I would have just said "I'm sorry; I'd seen several dogs in here before and assumed it was okay." And then I would have gone outside with my dog and waited there.
^This. Though I probably would've also asked if it was okay if she stayed this once due to the heat, so long as I didn't bring her again.

I guess IME when rules change the people are usually pretty good about just explaining the change and making a single exception if it's tough/dangerous to take your dog out at that precise moment.

K

Kaydee

I can't really argue the point one way or another and fortunately there are many local businesses that welcome well mannered dogs of any size, so I can't really complain...too much...I don't feel it should be based on if little Boopsies feet are on the floor. I could easily put Sophie in a shopping cart too. My feeling is a small dog who barks and growls at people doesn't belong in a store, a big dog who picks a floor display to pee on doesn't belong in a store. It should be on a dog by dog basis or no dogs at all, jus sayin

Members online

No members online now.