Meeting the boyfriend's parents

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
:yikes:

I'm meeting them tomorrow and I'm terrified! I know the basics, no religion, politics, dress appropriately, etc. etc. ;) But AHHH.

I guess I really have no reason to be too nervous. I'm pretty friendly and can hold my own fairly well in a conversation, but still. We've been dating for a few months (though we've been friends for a couple years beforehand), and he's met my entire family so it's not like we barely know each other. However, he and his family aren't really that close, so the opportunity has never really arose for me to meet his parents. I mean I guess it's not all bad, because if they hate my guts it's not like he'll take their opinion too seriously. :D

Anyone have any interesting experiences meeting their boyfriend's/girlfriend's/whateverhaveyou parents or family? :eek:

CaliTerp07

:yikes:

I'm meeting them tomorrow and I'm terrified! I know the basics, no religion, politics, dress appropriately, etc. etc. ;) But AHHH.
Hahaha, the first time I met my husband's parents, I went over there for dinner. I swear, not 5 minutes into the conversation, his mom is asking about if my parents are still married, if I'm Christian, if I'm liberal or conservative, etc.

*whew*

Luckily she and I have a great relationship now, and I passed her most important "test"--I love her son and treat him well!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
LOL well, my meeting his parents was kind of spur of the moment :p. I had spent the night in their guest house, and he came in once I woke up and told me his parents were waiting to meet me. Two months after we started dating I met his whole extended family, when they had a joint birthday party for his grandpa and cousin the day after my birthday so I was there anyway (had spent the night). He's "officially" met my dad and they chat, but he's only met my mom and brother in passing (mainly when they answer the door), and I don't think he's even seen my sister. Family is more important in his family, though. I figure they like me, they invited me to christmas and stuff, and make sure to plan vegetarian meals when im over.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Poor Mike met my folks on our third date - we weren't even "official" yet. ROFL We had went to the park with the dogs earlier that morning and when we were done he still wanted to hang out, but I had to take Chloe home, so I just invited him out for icecream and homemade brownies. He met everyone but my older brother then. And they apparently didn't scare him off too badly, because he made sure we were official that evening. ^^ I met his folks pretty early on, too, as he has family business he has to take care of and I would go along as moral support.

GipsyQueen

I met his parents pretty much spure of the moment as well. We were driving back from my apartment when he was like, hey lets go see if my parents are home. :eek: At least I had opted not to wear my jogging pants for the car ride. ;) I met his extended family not too long after. (His mom invited me up for a family reunion upon our first meeting. :p)

k9krazee

When I met R's family for the first time we were on winter break from school. We each started the break at our parent's houses and then I drove up to stay for the first half of break with his family and he stayed at my parent's house for the second half.

We had been dating almost 3 months. My parents did not think I should drive 3 hours to stay with him and his family and that he should have definitely come down to stay with us first. It all went fabulously though and almost 4.5 years later my family loves R to death and I feel so comfortable with his. Our families even get together and go camping at least once a year together.

Good luck! Don't be nervous and just be yourself! :D

Lossalfling

Ferret Keeper
Well I guess I get to add the twist. I will be meeting my fellows father this weekend for the first time, Did I mention it will be the first time for my fellow as well?? yup 40 years old and he just found his real father. Should make for an intereesting weekend.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Well I guess I get to add the twist. I will be meeting my fellows father this weekend for the first time, Did I mention it will be the first time for my fellow as well?? yup 40 years old and he just found his real father. Should make for an intereesting weekend.
Wow that's so intense! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

So great hearing your stories .. another couple hours for me. :eek: Though this is quite assuring, it doesn't sound like anyone had a horrible first encounter. :D

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well, they only live up the hill, on the same property :D

But I rarely see them... I sometimes pop up and say hello, mostly in passing. We've never 'done' anything together, but they're not that kind of family at ALL.

We are, so my BF has been well and truly initiated into my family :D

Members online