Breeding Hearty Eaters

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I swear she's a sweet dog, I just catch her at some interesting moments.

And now proceed with mind wiping. You WILL follow the papillons.

Sorry for the derailment. :eek:

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Really interesting. I would say out of all the small dogs I've had personal experience with (a lot), only one hasn't been an easy keeper.

Mine would be perfectly happy to be fat. I don't allow it, but no food hesitations at all. Well, one caveat, dehydrated foods (honest kitchen) makes Chloe vomit.......but she'll still try to eat it.

JacksonsMom

I have yet to read through all the pages of this thread but wanted to add that Jackson is a picky eater and always has been. I know people say picky eaters are created and in a way, I probably caused some of it by offering him so much, but I've finally settled on dry food/wet food. I've found the few brands of dog kibbles that he won't spit out and likes and then I mix some wet food with it and he eats very well with this routine so I really don't mind doing the dry/wet thing. He also devours his pre-made raw which is nice! But yes, generally, if I just left dry food out for him 24/7, he'd probably go a few days sometimes without eating.

Bleuell Papillons

Papillons and Phalenes
My 5 year old male Cujo used to be very picky. Over the years, and after he was neutered he really plumped up. My two year old female River is a picky eater. It took me a while to find a food that she really loves. River loves Turkey! I'm pretty pleased with my two in that they both are gaining weight.

Most Papillons are picky. No doubt about it. :(

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
It is almost as if they go through phases. Sometimes they are starving and devour anything you give them and other times they don't want anything.

I find the more I work them the more they eat. I have been running them hard for the past 2 weeks and their eating is back up to tops!

Michiyo-Fir

It is almost as if they go through phases. Sometimes they are starving and devour anything you give them and other times they don't want anything.

I find the more I work them the more they eat. I have been running them hard for the past 2 weeks and their eating is back up to tops!
I absolutely agree. However, I hate having a dog that gains weight and then loses weight and then gains weight and back and forth again. Nia's been pretty good recently and she's been eating well but I don't know if she's going to have another off phase but it bothers me.

I find a lot of exercise make Nia eat a lot better too. In the summer she gets a 1-2 hr run (with another 10-15 dogs) every night and after that she eats really well.

Members online

No members online now.