Feeding Coconut Oil...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I met a natural pet products store owner last weekend who had a booth down at Hoosier Horse Fair. We were discussing supplements and when I told him Sally was allergic to fish he suggested using organic coconut oil rather than fish oil to add omegas.

Has anyone heard of feeding coconut oil? The ones I've seen have been white goop, is it supposed to look like that? How much would I give a 55 lb dog?

Yes I feed it, just put a glop in the bowl. We eat it ourselves and so do our animals. As healthy of a medium chain fatty acid that it is, It is NOT a source of omega 3's

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Are there Omega 3 supplements that dogs can process that are not derived from fish? Jack can eat fish oil but it's Sally that has a fish allergy...

What are the benefits of the rest of the fatty acids? I thought it was Omega 3 that was the desirable one?

Saeleofu

Are there Omega 3 supplements that dogs can process that are not derived from fish? Jack can eat fish oil but it's Sally that has a fish allergy...

What are the benefits of the rest of the fatty acids? I thought it was Omega 3 that was the desirable one?
Flax seed oil has some omega-3s. If she's okay with krill, krill oil is a very good source of omega-3s as well.

I do not feed coconut oil yet, but plan to start soon.

Interesting.

I've never considered this. We use it all the time for cooking. It makes the best buttermilk biscuits! I also use it to take off makeup and moisturize. And now..the dogs can eat it! Wonders never cease! We were just talking about fish oil for coats. Watching this thread! :popcorn:

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Flax seed oil has some omega-3s. If she's okay with krill, krill oil is a very good source of omega-3s as well.

I do not feed coconut oil yet, but plan to start soon.
Stupid question--krill is a shellfish, right? Which is different than a standard fish? It was an allergy test at the vet's and there was no shellfish listed on the list of allergens tested for...

Saeleofu

Stupid question--krill is a shellfish, right? Which is different than a standard fish? It was an allergy test at the vet's and there was no shellfish listed on the list of allergens tested for...
Krill are arthropods. Not fish at all.

You could definitely try coconut oil - I would probably give 2 tablespoons per day. You can feed it solid or warmed into a liquid. When you buy it make sure it's virgin coconut oil - it should be sold at room temperature.

You could also try krill or sardine oil - different than normal fish oils. Prudence makes a krill oil, and Natures Logic has a sardine oil.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin gets coconut oil :) Started innocently enough lol I bought some to use for me and he kept trying to lick it off my face and hair!!

so I started giving him his own spoon of the stuff. Now he gets it with breakfast.

He also gets salmon oil

Romy

Taxiderpy
For some reason feeding coconut oil never occurred to me.

One time I got a huge thingy of flax seed oil for pretty cheap, and the dogs did well on that. They did better with fish oil, but for what it was at the time it worked well. Some algal oils also have omega 3s, but I have no idea how much they cost or how easy they are to find.

FG167

I've fed it for about 5 years and love it. The dogs' coats look and smell good and they love it too. I make it into little measured blocks and then hand them out at breakfast. We have a lot of dogs though.

I fed it for a short time last year after reading the benefits of it (particularly a story about a VERY smelly Lab whose odor dissipated while on it). I notice no change when feeding it to any of my dogs so when the large container of it was gone I just stopped feeding it. Not saying it didn't and doesn't have any benefits that I can't see however, so I might feed it again, but from the outside no I myself noticed no difference in my dogs appearance, or in the way Noodle smells.

Saeleofu

Clearly, this is doggie crack. I got a big jar of coconut oil last night. I put some in their food, some on my hands, some on my chapped lips, and some on Logan's sunburned ruff. Theey scarfed down their food, then Gavroche went after Logan and all I could see him thinking was "COME HERE MY SEXY COCONUT BEAST!" as he simultaneously humped him and licked the oil off his ruff :rofl1: :rofl1:

Downside is I have to give Logan a bath now. Ack.

Clearly, this is doggie crack. I got a big jar of coconut oil last night. I put some in their food, some on my hands, some on my chapped lips, and some on Logan's sunburned ruff. Theey scarfed down their food, then Gavroche went after Logan and all I could see him thinking was "COME HERE MY SEXY COCONUT BEAST!" as he simultaneously humped him and licked the oil off his ruff :rofl1: :rofl1:

Downside is I have to give Logan a bath now. Ack.
Oh, I did forget about using it on myself, it's great for hands and that's actually why I even had a container of it, it was supposed to go into soap (that, didn't happen, maybe this year we'll get to that project). But yes, I did find that they did like it, even lil' miss picky loved it.

While I was at Whole Foods picking up oils for that oil cleansing thing I thought I might as well grab a jar of coconut oil, too. I put just a wee bit on everyone's food and the youngsters gobbled it up but Pip eyed it suspiciously, gave me a dirty look, and ate completely around it before picking it up and putting it down a few times and then finally eating it. Dork.

Members online

No members online now.