Pure White Pap?

noludoru

Bored Now.
Isn't it possible she's a mismark from a bad breeder? It stands to reason that someone who doesn't know much about Paps would breed dogs with tons of white and accidentally get one like this if they didn't know/care.

Michiyo-Fir

Isn't it possible she's a mismark from a bad breeder? It stands to reason that someone who doesn't know much about Paps would breed dogs with tons of white and accidentally get one like this if they didn't know/care.
I'm not sure but I've never seen a mismark that is 100% white before. Plus she's also deaf which is strange too because it's not like Paps can be merle and you can get a double merle deaf (or deaf and blind) pup...

Saeleofu

Could she be mixed with chihuahua? They can have merle, right? Even if she's nto say 1/2 pap and 1/2 chi, it's possible some idiot "breeder" started mixing a bit of chi blood in to try to get some more "rare" coloring.

Romy

Taxiderpy
It looks like she's got some red pigment on her ears, so not a total genetic white. Weird. I mean, she could be a mix that's mostly pap, but I kinda think Nolu is right and she's a mismark from a bad breeder.

ETA:

This pap genetics site says under the Extreme Piebald section that it's possible for all white paps with the gene to be born.

Papillon Information Site

EXTREME PIEBALD: The last allele in this series, and most recessive is the sw or extreme piebald pattern. In its most extreme form, the sw allele is responsible for an all white dog. Sometimes, the dog may have some color spots on its body or head particularly in a light cream color. "Plus" modifiers allow more color and less white to be present while minus modifiers restrict the presence of color and allow for more white on the body.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I'm not sure but I've never seen a mismark that is 100% white before. Plus she's also deaf which is strange too because it's not like Paps can be merle and you can get a double merle deaf (or deaf and blind) pup...
No, but pigment in the inner ears can affect hearing. It's part of the reason that the breed standard specifies that they MUST have pigment over their ears. There are many breeds where deafness happens because of lack of pigment. It doesn't have to be merling that causes there to be no pigment.

Pure white can happen in the breed genetically (and any breed where extreme piebald is common.) However, it's not common. All the mismarks I've known have had some pigment on their heads but I've seen a couple pics of solid white paps. They do happen on occasion. It's not always a bad breeder thing either. I've known very good breeders to produce mismarks.

That said, she's actually not pure white either. She's got red on her ears, albeit not much.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Pure white can happen in the breed genetically (and any breed where extreme piebald is common.) However, it's not common. All the mismarks I've known have had some pigment on their heads but I've seen a couple pics of solid white paps. They do happen on occasion. It's not always a bad breeder thing either. I've known very good breeders to produce mismarks.
A good breeder can produce a Pap with that much white by accident?

The only mismarks I have seen have at least had a ton of color on their heads.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I bet they can considering how many dogs are correctly marked but very extreme piebald with color barely over the ears and eyes. It would have to take the right genetics though.

I know mismarks that have bald or split faces. I've never met a breeder that had a pure white but I've heard of it happening.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I've seen some very out of standard markings around but I do think that most likely that dog is simply pet trade line mismark. I imagine in a couple generations of crossing mismarks a near white dog is very possible.

Michiyo-Fir

No, but pigment in the inner ears can affect hearing. It's part of the reason that the breed standard specifies that they MUST have pigment over their ears. There are many breeds where deafness happens because of lack of pigment. It doesn't have to be merling that causes there to be no pigment.
Does that mean dogs like Maltese, Bichons and other pure white dogs have higher risks of deafness?

Dekka

Just try me..
The white in JRTs can be linked to hearing loss. Deafness is a relatively common issue in JRTs. And more likely to happen to dogs with white ears.

Paps seem to have similar colour patterns to one common JRTs, I wonder if its the same sore of genetics. (and JRTs its extreme piebalding too. JRTs are solid coloured dogs with a lot of white on them)

Dekka has one all white sibling and one practically all white sibling (that one had a little black dot on the inside of the ear) Neither were deaf. And the dam had never produced such white before, and its not like Kaiden is lacking colour.

Romy

Taxiderpy
From what I understand, is long as the skin pigment is dark the hearing isn't affected. That's one of the reasons the white german shepherd standard is so strict on having deep black pigment on the nose, lips, eyelids, and as much of the rest of their skin as possible (paw pads, nail beds, etc.). As far as I know, they don't have any higher incidence of deafness than dogs with colored fur.

Saeleofu

From what I understand, is long as the skin pigment is dark the hearing isn't affected. That's one of the reasons the white german shepherd standard is so strict on having deep black pigment on the nose, lips, eyelids, and as much of the rest of their skin as possible (paw pads, nail beds, etc.). As far as I know, they don't have any higher incidence of deafness than dogs with colored fur.
This is the only explanation I have of why Gavroche isn't deaf and doesn't have blue eyes. His hair is all white except for a couple teeny tiny spots, but he has TONS of skin pigment. His nose is completely black, and his eye rims are almost completely black.

Michiyo-Fir

This Pap looks like she has dark skin pigment too? Her nose is black. The skin around her eyes don't seem to be though, I can't tell for sure.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
White GSDs are not the same genetically as a white papillon either. It's not piebald but rather a really really light cream and fully pigmented. It's important to remember you can get the same physical 'look' by different genetics. There's recessive and dominant ways to get a black dog for example. Or the example that you can end up with a merle dog with a lot of white both by it being a double merle or by it being a color headed white (merle + piebald).

However, JRTs are colored genetically the same way as papillons. A white JRT is a very very extreme piebald. A white papillon is the same. It makes sense that white heads would be linked in both breeds to deafness. All papillons are either piebald or extreme piebald. White spotting essentially blocks out pigment completely in those areas, which can lead to issues. Now, a dog with white colored ears CAN be able to hear if the pigment is deep down inside the ear, but in general you want it over the ear to play it safe.

Honestly, I wonder why split faces and bald faces with white ears isn't a problem in some breeds like border collies for example. They're also white spotted so I would think that there would be that same link to deafness in them too. There are reasons certain breeds have color requirements beyond the fact that people like the way they look...

Check out around this dog's eyes. There is no pigment around the eyes. You'd see black pigment there if the dog was something like a white GSD or a bichon. The pigment on the nose appears weak to me, but it's hard to tell. Most deaf dogs I've seen still have a black nose. Some have pink spotting on it though. Nose seems to be the last place to turn pink. Think about our dogs for example... They have white spotting around their muzzles which means no pigment but they all have solid black noses.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm no expert but it looks too big... could have collie, or spaniel in there. Seen similar dogs before now. Smaller than a collie, bigger than a pap. There's no scale to that pic, but to me looks bigger.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Looks pure pap to me. They can be pretty big. In standard is about 6-10 lbs, but I've known them up to 15-20 lbs too. Btw, papillons are spaniels so there's definitely spaniel in there! ;)

Dekka

Just try me..
not paps, but

You can see that Kat has no pigment around her white surrounded eye

And Dekka has both around her white surrounded eye. The skin is not usually pigmented under the white in piebalding.

JRT noses are still supposed to be black, and should be solid. Though small amounts of pink are acceptable depending on the Judge (I asked cause of Kat's nose)

Members online

No members online now.