The Venting Thread

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Hahahaha yeah I remember the one time we had a drug seeker come in at my old clinic. It wasn't the first time she had came to us, she just used a different name lol. I think we put her in an exam room to "wait for the doctor" until the cops arrived.

Xandra

I think you mean Bay-thrill. :/
haha

I recently found out my TA gave me a zero on an assignment that was worth 15% of my mark, probably for handing it in "late." The due date, as stated on the overall course site, her email reminder and the turn-in website was "at 11:59." The glitch is I believe she said in class that she wanted it at 11:58. However, that is contradictory to information from three other course sources/is flat out not what "due at 11:59" means.

So I guess I'm going to argue it and I'm so not looking forward to it. She's going to be pissed and I kind of got along well with her before.

(I know, I know, shame on me for handing it in literally last minute... I like to say I'm just very precise but honestly I do know I have issues)

GipsyQueen

haha

I recently found out my TA gave me a zero on an assignment that was worth 15% of my mark, probably for handing it in "late." The due date, as stated on the overall course site, her email reminder and the turn-in website was "at 11:59." The glitch is I believe she said in class that she wanted it at 11:58. However, that makes no sense and is flat out not what "due at 11:59" means.

So I guess I'm going to argue it and I'm so not looking forward to it. She's going to be pissed and I kind of got along well with her before.

(I know, I know, shame on me for handing it in literally last minute... I like to say I'm just very precise but honestly I do know I have issues)
Who gives a 0 for handing in a minute late... geez... =/

My vent: I have a cold. I haven't had a cold in a while... :(

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
So, this freshman keeps running into me purposely. Today, I was just walking to my bus, minding my own business. The he comes running into me, & knocks me down. He always makes me fall in the street too. :mad:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I guess it is a law of the universe that we will run out of available hot water 10 seconds into my shower...*whine*

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
haha

I recently found out my TA gave me a zero on an assignment that was worth 15% of my mark, probably for handing it in "late." The due date, as stated on the overall course site, her email reminder and the turn-in website was "at 11:59." The glitch is I believe she said in class that she wanted it at 11:58. However, that is contradictory to information from three other course sources/is flat out not what "due at 11:59" means.

That's insane! Here we get docked 5% for each DAY late. Definitely argue it, getting a 0 over the difference of a minute is ridiculous.

Xandra

I would even accept a zero if I had actually handed it in late, but it wasn't late except for her weird interpretation of "due at 11:59" to mean "due at 11:58."

I'm not sure how successful I'll be. The course is known to be graded anally and they only give 5 days to dispute your grade from when the grades are released, which has passed, but I didn't realize they had been because they don't send out notification or anything.

I'm still working up the nerve to send off the first email :lol-sign:

Xandra

Apparently it is indeed late because while it was stated everywhere that it was merely due at 11:59, it was actually due at 11:59.00 and I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59.

ETA well she assumes I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59. Her email doesn't specify that she confirmed that I didn't submit it at 11:59.00. I'm not sure the turn-in website actually counts seconds.

Last edited:

joce

^ I am sorry but that is insane!! I went to the head of the department over a instructor saying I wrote a D worthy paper. I'd also go over this!

GoingNowhere

^ I am sorry but that is insane!! I went to the head of the department over a instructor saying I wrote a D worthy paper. I'd also go over this!
Also agreed. TAs don't have a whole lot of power in the scheme of things. Have you gone to the professor first and foremost (that is, if the TA won't be reasonable?) Honestly, syllabuses are essentially a contract between a professor and a class. It is your professor's duty to honor that contract, provided that the deadline was written down.

ETA: I'm amazed you were brave enough to submit it in such a crunch! I am always panicked that the website will glitch when I have online assignments due :eek: But I definitely believe that you are in the right in this situation provided that you did get it in at 11:59!

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
My ipod won't charge

I tried two different charges, the cord, & the other part. Went to different outlets, still won't charge. I dropped back in October, & the screen cracked, it charged fine.I dropped it again in the snow, & it won't charge. Weird things is that, it would charge right after I dropped it, but now it won't charge :wall:

Agreed completely.
x3

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Apparently it is indeed late because while it was stated everywhere that it was merely due at 11:59, it was actually due at 11:59.00 and I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59.

ETA well she assumes I submitted it 11:59.01-11:59.59. Her email doesn't specify that she confirmed that I didn't submit it at 11:59.00. I'm not sure the turn-in website actually counts seconds.
This is what I was going to say. She probably meant when the clock struck 11:59, it had to be handed in. Not when the clock said 11:59, because technically then it wasn't handed in for 11:59.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
This is what I was going to say. She probably meant when the clock struck 11:59, it had to be handed in. Not when the clock said 11:59, because technically then it wasn't handed in for 11:59.
But that's BY 11:59, not AT 11:59, isn't it?

Semantics aside, the question is would a reasonable person assume that a deadline of 11:59 PM on such date mean "before 11:59," or mean "before midnight?"

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It's OTE=Beanie;2352684]But that's BY 11:59, not AT 11:59, isn't it?

Semantics aside, the question is would a reasonable person assume that a deadline of 11:59 PM on such date mean "before 11:59," or mean "before midnight?"[/QUOTE]

It's.. Yah. *I* would say by 11:59, but one could assume *at* 11:59 is 11:59:00 it is due at. I would expect otherwise that it would have said due at midnight.

ETA: yah, it pretty well can go either way, and should be more clear rather than so open to interpretation.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I would expect otherwise that it would have said due at midnight.
What is your interpretation of "midnight on 3/8?" Does that mean when the clock rolls over to midnight the evening of 3/7, or when the clock rolls over to midnight the evening of 3/8? And do you believe your interpretation is necessarily the same as any other given person's?
Again, the question is what would a reasonable person assume. I can tell you from experience people do not always interpret, nor mean, "midnight on such-date" to be the technical by-the-clock definition. It will happen at midnight on 12/31 - New Years!! Except that is technically midnight on 1/1.

If, instead, you say "at 11:59pm on 3/8," that makes it obvious the assignment is due before the clock rolls onto midnight the evening of 3/8.
It does NOT make it clear it's due before the clock rolls to 11:59pm.

One COULD assume "at 11:59" means "before 11:59." The question is would a reasonable person assume that. I submit not.

Members online

No members online now.