Trying something new

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia starts nosework classes on Tuesday. I've already heard from some people that it may be hard or impossible with a toy dog but I figure what the hell, we'll try it. I don't want to compete, just get her little brain working towards something good. I figure if we're in class they can alter the exercises for her.

Any words of wisdom?

I'm also well aware that I am crazy and paying for 5 dog training classes a week. :yikes: If only I could budget more, I'd also have signed up for a couple of the 8 week special classes (like focus and teamwork) and then treibball too.

Too many classes, not enough money.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Why couldn't you do it with a toy? Arson's nose is pretty darn good.

I think it's awesome you do 5 a week. I'm coming with my 3 kay... We're moving in :) I haven't taken classes in so painfully long.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
They said it had something to do with the rules of actual competitions being universal and some of the finds are up pretty high. Idk much about it but seriously doubt we'd ever compete in nosework trials. So I think it will be fine in a class setting.

Mia's got a really keen nose. We already play hide the treat and things like that. She loves getting to go and sniff out rodents too. I think she'll enjoy it.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
If you wanted to compete (just don't rule it out).. I don't see why you couldn't help your tiny dog up on higher things if they couldn't get there..

http://www.nacsw.net/trialinformation/whatsatriallike.html

I'd say the interior would be the bigger issue possibly depending upon the room.. but you could lift her onto a sink or toilet if needed...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks! I was pretty excited when I found it but kind of got mixed feelings from people if it would work with a toy dog. But at any rate, we won't know till we try! :D

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Nosework is a LOT of fun. Indy is very very good at it. I think her current record is a find in under ten seconds with about 15 hides in the room. Just boxes, so she wasn't looking for "off" objects, and we were using fresh Zukes, so they're pretty good smelling, but it's just awesomely impressive to bring a dog in, watching her air scent, catch the scent cone and just zero in on the scent in like, 9.5 seconds.

Knox on the other hand, comes in like an effing idiot, flailing around, knocking boxes over, ect, so we don't do nosework with him. Stick to bitework. A lot easier, lol.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
She does scent hurdles, like Flyball but with scent discrimination and dumbbells instead of the balls.

I am trying to think but the smallest we have here is an Italian greyhound. We offer NW at my work, I've not taken advantage of it but a few times and now that I'm moving and losing my discount I think I would like it with Shamoo. lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I always wondered what scent hurdle was. I've never heard of that one.

Does the IG do nosework? I'm not sure if we'll do much more than the intro to nosework class. If they do a teamwork class at a time I can go to, I might try that one instead.

I took a couple nosework classes for funsies with Maisy a couple of years ago, and there were toy breeds who did just fine. In fact, on their web page their demo video had a wee pom in it.

Sometimes they would hide the scent up on a table or shelf or something, but I don't know why accommodations for size couldn't be made in a class setting.

adojrts

Funny that you mention it now, we just did a 2 day scent detection seminar here last weekend. So much fun. We had a wide range of dogs both days from chi's, hounds, BC's, Jrts, mixes, big and small all had fun and success. They started out with food or toys in the open bins progressing to closed bins with just the scent in it for the dogs that worked both days. Petie had a great time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia had a complete blast. The boxes were almost all taller than her so she ended up having to crane in on her back legs and eventually started hopping into the boxes and knocking them over. She picked it up fast and had a couple moments where you could see her catch a scent and make a decision. She did really really well and ended up making the whole class laugh with her antics. It is hard not to smile when you see such a small and determined little dog, lol.

I'm honestly shocked she didn't try shaping with the boxes at first.

Members online

No members online now.