Pyr breeder opinion/recommendations please

A friend of mine is looking into getting a Pyr boy sometime soon - and this breeder came up - they seem pretty reputable and I think everything checks out on the website - we've yet to contact them though. Incidentally I've thought about a Pyr for my next dog (just a thought at this point LOL)

Mind sharing some thoughts please?

http://www.briarglen.com/pyrenees/index.html

Pyr breeder recommendations are welcome as well - anywhere in the States or Canada is fine, we might be able to arrange travel there or I'm sure shipping wouldn't be a problem =)

YodelDogs

The dogs on this website are very lovely. I did notice a few things that bothered me though.

"Graymar Great Pyrenees are selectively bred from dysplasia-free stock for sound bodies and minds."

And under some of the photos is the statement, ""Excellent" hip x-rays."

I went to the OFA database and searched their kennel name. There is only one animal there with a hip OFA number and it isn't any of the dogs on their website. Since there are no pedigrees on their website it was impossible to check the ancestry for hip test grades either.

Now they could have used Penn Hip to do hips and this would explain why they would not be in the OFA database. However, Penn Hip uses numerical scores to rate hips, not grades as OFA does, so the phrasing on the website is confusing.

This statement also appears on their website, "They have been ophthalmologist tested for excellent eyes."

There are no CERF numbers for any dog with their kennel name in the OFA database.

I am NOT saying that these breeders are dishonest or disreputable. I am only pointing out things that, if I were a potential buyer, I would discuss with the breeders.

crazedACD

http://metrosniff.com/content/health-tests-recommended-great-pyrenees
Health Tests Recommended for Great Pyrenees

GREAT PYRENEES - By Staff Writer on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 16:25
If you are buying a Great Pyrenees puppy you should make sure that your breeder has tested the parents and puppy for potential congenital illnesses. The breeder should be able to provide you with the test results for both the parents and any results for puppies being sold. Each test has different criteria and different types of results so you may want to review the results with a veterinarian if the breeder is unable to answer your questions on the results to your satisfaction. By taking the time to discuss testing results you will be avoiding potential headaches and heartache in the future.

Cardiac Disorders*
OFA evaluation - examination by a Board-Certified Cardiologist recommended annually
ARCH - ACVIM Registry of Cardiac Health

Congenital Deafness
BAER Testing

Eye Illnesses
CERF evaluation

Elbow Dysplasia
OFA evaluation

Hip Dysplasia*
OFA evaluation
PennHip evaluation

Patellar Luxation
OFA evaluation

Shoulder Osteochondrosis Dessicans (OCD)
OFA evaluation

Thyroid Clearance
OFA evaluation
You can find better.

Oh no - not for me thank you, My hands are full with Kat as it is now - my next dog won't be till at least around a year and a half from now LOL - certainly I'll make sure she is well trained before I bring another bundle of fluff and brat into my life ;)

My friend is the one dead set on having a big white fluffy dog of her own - she has a huge yard and is way up in a more secluded area - so a Pyr/LGD would do fine with her. That other breeder looks great! And certainly I will forward her the info supplied =)

Members online

No members online now.