Need Connecticut Suggestions

hey_jude

I recently moved to Austin TX which is HEAVEN if you're a dog owner- but due to my job, I just found out I have to move back to CT where I grew up. I will be moving into a house in Fairfield County CT and am looking for a few suggestions.

1. Dog daycare. I tried one in Glastonbury and am just not in love. It's not that it's bad, I just found somewhere in Austin that was a big ranch that took them for a hike etc. Are there any fabulous daycares in CT? I'd like him to go one day a week. I work from home- but like to give him one day to go.

2. Dog events- any suggestions as to big events or even small for dog owners? There were a lot in Austin and I miss that.

3. Any really dog friendly establishments in the state? We had a lot in Austin but I can't find too many restaurants here. I work all of the state (have to travel to clients homes) so location isn't a big problem for me- I'm all over so I usually just bring him to my clients with me and take him places after.

Thanks in advance! Trying to make CT work for us! :)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
unfortunatly your going to find CT is not all that dog frinedly.

depedning on where your going in FFC (im in fairfeild county myself in the danbury area) theres
Wags Dog day camp danbury
Best friends resort norwalk
furry friends Danbury

there may be a couple more, but those are the 3 i actually know...
best frineds is actually the best in fairfield county ct.
theres nothing that i know of in this county like what you describe though :(

events...well Daws organizes dog walks for danbury animal welfare a few times a year...

Dog Friendly Activities in Connecticut
is a good rescource...

we have a good number of absolutly gorgeous parks, but few IF ANY are off leash frinedly...
there are a few dog parks in the area, ridgefeilds bark park is the most well known, and milford has one too...

Pets community sharing pet care tips pet news photos and pet videos - pet supplies and services reviews at ZooToo.com is aother good resource.

there are a couple of resturaunts that have little patio areas, but of course there outdoor areas arnt open for long out of the year.

Stores are NOT dog frinedly...petsmart, petco and SOME petshops are dog frinedly...

Lowes and Homedepot (places many on this forum have found to be nromally ok with dogs) are NOT dog frinedly in this state...nor are most stores, even if they DONT sell food...infact this state is even SERVICE DOG hostile...if your dogs not a golden or a lab is CANT be a service dog.

the good news is the state is a wealth of natural beauty and ive yet to find a park that is not dog friendly to ON LEASH dogs. plenty of places to hike, walk and enjoy the outdoors...
you get all 4 seasons too which is nice...lots of lakes to play in...

however be warned public beaches, ocean or lake are usually NOT dog frinedly...
my advice on that stuff is to go a couple of times and see if theres other dogs around, if there are bring the dog and claim ignorance if someone corrects you...

lizzybeth727

I recently moved to Austin TX which is HEAVEN if you're a dog owner- but due to my job, I just found out I have to move back to CT where I grew up.
I'm sorry! Austin does kinda spoil a person, doesn't it. :)

Though I bet having actual seasons would be nice....

michaelf

I agree with most of what Foxy said, but at this end of the state we have a dog friendly shopping plaza. Dogs are welcome in every store except restaurants. It's in Manchester, Evergreen Walk.
The restaurants, most have outdoor patios, but of coarse you don't want to sit out there in the middle of winter!!

This state has a long way to go to get dog friendly. It is so frustrating.
But, I did take my toy poo into Target to try on clothes and noone said anything. I have tried to take her in other places, most of the time I get kicked out.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
your a couple counties over then michaelf correct?

im IN fairfeils county, and i wishe there were places like that, heck i even get funny looks WALKING my dogs pas a store here...

im told closer to the RI and MA borders are a little more dog frinedly...but im restricted on travel, ive got an hour in all directions of saftey zone :p

Members online

No members online now.