Raw feeding menu

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
YAH I am glad things are going fantastic so far!! Isnt is so much fun lol
Lol it really is. The kibble had just been bothering me so much lately. I just kept thinking... how AWFUL it must be to eat the same dry crunchy things, day in and day out, for 10+ years. :yikes: I try giving them variety when I can, by adding canned food, honey, leftover chicken or steak etc. And they go freaking NUTS for anything out of the ordinary so obviously kibble bores them too.

I wish I could switch Lucy too. The dental benefits alone would be huge for her. But as soon as I move out she'd just go right back on kibble anyway. And she's a butthead and won't touch RMBs when I try giving them to her.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Still going as smoothly as possible. :) Might even try some turkey this weekend since I'm running out of chicken, and she's been doing so well. I'm honestly shocked that there's been no sloppy poos!

Honestly the most difficult part is that we had to make adjustments to her feeding schedule, since no one else in my family will feed her now. But I think she's getting over it lol and so far switching to raw is looking like a good decision! :D

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
She's had loose stools the last 2 days or so but I think it's just my fault... at least I hope that's all it is hahah. She's still just been on chicken quarters but the ones she's been getting recently have been a bit larger than the batch she was started on. So her meals today were a couple ounces smaller and my fingers are crossed that does the trick. Poor girl woke me up at 4am and ran outside like she was on fire. :(

Also it amazes me how difficult it is to find turkey?? I don't necessarily want to buy a whole turkey and cut it up, but that seems to be the only way to buy it! I can get my hands on chicken, duck, quail, goat, lamb, pork, beef, fish, and organs and other weird stuff.... but good God you would think turkey was some unheard of exotic meat. :p

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
You could try adding more bone into her meals and see if that helps. Are you taking the fat off the chicken quarters?

Right now Im having a hard time finding Beef heart, I can find everything else, but not that darn beef heart. Im not looking forward to trying to find meat variety when Tyler and I potentially move to BC :( its going to suck!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I haven't been taking the fat off, but if she continues having issues then that will be the next step. Her poop has been much better today, whereas yesterday it was loose and mucusy. Yuck. :p So hopefully she's fixed.

Luckily I live by an Asian supermarket and they have everyyyyything. Except turkey lol. Liver, heart, kidney, spleen, uterus.... blech. It was kind of weird digging through it all because I definitely don't normally see that when I go grocery shopping hahaha.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Is it weird that THAT'S what creeps me out the most? I have no idea what the nutritional value of a pork uterus is LOL but I am completely incapable of feeding that to my dog.

Oh, and tongue. Gotta say the neatly packaged tongue gave me the heebie jeebies as well.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Bah ha ha I must be made out of tough steel.

I bought some pork tongue at the local TnT chinese supermarket, freaked me right out when I bough it, When I was cutting it up in the beginning I wanted to barf. The texture and the smell was just aweful. YUCK!!

But now I could care less.

Just you wait, you will see awesome cool meats like tongue, bull balls and get so excited. You'll just have to buy it ha ha!!

jenv101

Bite Club
I'm finally getting used to heart, liver and tripe... I think tongue will be my next challenge lol!

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
I'm going to switch Juno to a raw diet. I think for the most part I kind of have a handle on what I'm doing, but am having a harder time wrapping my head around what each meal should look like.

Raw feeders, could you perhaps post what a week of meals for your dog might look like? The 80/10/10 stuff is what trips me up the most and I think I'd get it better if I had examples of how to balance everything.

I know that for right now, my menu will look different since we're just starting on chicken and have no offal to include--but I just want to make sure we're going in the right direction.
I don't worry about the 80/10/10 really at all. I just feed a variety of meat bones and organs. I have one who needs way more bone, and two can use less. It really just depends on your dog.

elegy

overdogged
Tripe is so gross. I only get the canned stuff. Liver squicks me out too. And Steve won't eat it unless I chop it fine and mix it in something like ground beef.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Tripe is so gross. I only get the canned stuff. Liver squicks me out too. And Steve won't eat it unless I chop it fine and mix it in something like ground beef.
I actually don't mind the tripe at all anymore. Nothing seems to gross me out now that I started feeding Teagan raw.

I bought some raw pigs feet for Teagan, grossest things ever. Teagan really liked them. That little Beotch growled at me when I went to look on her progress. And she never growls at me. She got in trouble for that lol

Members online

No members online now.