Cole is gone

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
My brother in law went away for a few days to spend some time with us and family in the mountains. We brought along our two but all three of us were unsure about Cole and that many people as he had never quite lost the whole shelter dog attitude of being scared of new people. So he the guy that lives here to watch him while he was gone. Well it turns out sometime Monday Cole let himself out (possibly a door that was unlatched in the kennel) and a neighbor saw him get hit by a van sometime tuesday...we got back tuesday night to find no Cole. We drove door to door and called until our throats were sore but no Cole. Today the neighbor comes over and says she didn't know we were looking for Cole (her kids were the ones that answered when we asked and they didnt' know) and he was hit by a van yesterday, but she thought it was a neighbors free roaming farm dog, and it ran way off into the corn field. She couldn't find him.We found him today , near where she said he was hit, deep in the cornfield, limping but alive. We rushed him to the emergency vet with brother in law and then came home to finish cleaning up after the supper I was trying to get on the table. We got a call right after we got home saying he was put down, that his hip was shattered and none of us could afford the surgery and the vet said it was for the best since he had some other pretty bad injury we couldn't see . I'm frankly still in shock as he seemed FINE besides a busted leg. $2000 to fix him that they were maybe thinking wouldn't fix him anyway and they'd want to put him down if the surgery didn't work. I wish I had more money cuz I would have paid it in a heartbeat. Brother in law is heartbroken as this is his first dog ever. Stormy is still looking for her romping buddy and I am about all cried out for the moment. Here's to you Roley Poley Coley. I'll miss you and your rambunctious ways. I'll miss trying to wrangle three dogs that total 30lbs over my weight combined. I'll miss your sweet eyes and the look of pride on BIL's face when you play with him. Say hi to daisy and hunter and dixie. Help your owner find someone sweet to fill in your so obviously open hole in his heart. I'll never forget your sweet puppy face that begged me not to let them put you down at such a young age, to find some way to give you a home. I love you Cole, even if you weren't really mine, I miss you so much.

love Aunt Chrissy and Cousins Sunny and Stormy

Brattina88

:( :( so sorry to read that... ((hugs)) sending positive vibes your way... ((((((more hugs))))))))

L

LabBreeder

I don't know what to say except, I'm sorry for you and your BIL and for Cole having to be in pain while you were gone. I'm sorry the neighbors didn't know it was him and try to help. :( (((HUGS)))

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OH NO Sunnypup. I am truly sorry for that is such a shame in all directions. I don't know what else to say.:( :( I am certain i know how you feel and words just fall short. Rest In Peace Cole.

Oh, Sunny... I'm just now seeing this and am SO SORRY!!! Sweet baby Cole... may you RIP and be romping at the bridge with health now...

Citrus007

I'm so sorry. How completely terrible. That can not be a fun way to end an outing. If only we could turn back time.

Members online

No members online now.