Licking-Question for a friend

Ok, so a friend of mine's boyfriend has female Yorkie and she just sent me a message asking some questions and one of her concerns was this, why she does it and how to stop it

And the other thing is that she licks people and random stuff (the window of the car, blankets, etc) ALOT.
Now, anyone have any ideas? Is it a health thing? Obession? Something else?

I think I've heard of dogs doing it before but I honestly can't remember

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer does that. It's just obsessiveness imo. I have to remind summer to cut it out all the time.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Rosey does it. I do not even think she realizes she is doing it sometimes, cause when I tell her to stop licking, she looks at me like she has no idea what I am talking about. She is VERY OCD about it. She will just be lying there and just start licking the couch or pillow or persons pants or whatever.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Mollie does this as well, and I really think it is a little OCD behavior. It's like once she gets started (pillows, hands, couches, she will lick anything), she won't stop unless someone interrupts her.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Izzy likes to lick hands, especially if she's hanging out on the bed with us. If there are no hand readily available she'll lick the pillows/sheets... I don't really consider it a problem because she can be distracted from it. What amount of licking would make it a problem you feel needs to be addressed right away?

My gut said obsessive licking but I wanted to see if anyone else dealt with it. Good to hear that's what you guys seem to think too. Thanks guys!

What amount of licking would make it a problem you feel needs to be addressed right away?
I don't think it was, she had a few questions about other things with training and recall because the dog has decided not to come when called and just threw that in as a "oh and she does this, is there a way to make her stop? Isn't it weird?" kinda way so I figured I would ask

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Izzy likes to lick hands, especially if she's hanging out on the bed with us. If there are no hand readily available she'll lick the pillows/sheets... I don't really consider it a problem because she can be distracted from it. What amount of licking would make it a problem you feel needs to be addressed right away?
I do not think it becomes a problem unless they cannot be distracted from it... Rosey cannot. She will stop for maybe a minute if you tell her to, then will be right back at it. I really think once they become obsessive about it, it is an issue

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Yeah I can see it being a problem if a dog won't take redirection. Maybe you should see if Rosey likes Pacifiers like your Ferts lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I think it is very involuntary for Summer too- similar to the way she'll stick her tongue out. (I've tried to turn that into a trick but it just seems like she has no idea she's doing it so it's been pretty impossible to capture).

Summer licks hands and people and also licks the furniture, windows, etc, she'll even just lick the air.

Doberluv

Chulita has this tendency, but it's not out of control. I've taught her "enough" with some other things and it is a little skill that she's generalized. So, if I'm around and she licks too much, either a human or the couch or something, I tell her enough and she stops.........until the next time. LOL. (nothing like sitting down on a wet couch) I have a little trouble with her licking other people because they always say, "It's okay." LOL. Oh well...it's not the worst behavior in the world, especially with such a teensy tongue.

If this friend can distract her dog and have a treat ready...but make the dog wait without licking for just 3 to 5 seconds, then reinforce, eventually the dog should get the idea. Gradually increase duration that she must refrain from licking. It's kind of like bark training. She can even show the treat to distract, but not furnish it until those 3-5 seconds of non-licking are up. A split of a second before showing the treat, say, "enough" or whatever cue she's going to use. Later, when the dog is catching on to the game, the treat should not be shown to the dog but taken from random places. By this time, the cue, "enough," the stopping licking and the reward should be making a connection for the dog. Remember to gradually add duration and gradually remove the visibility of the treat. Still later, the treats can start being spread out, but still given sometimes to keep the skill fresh.

Doberluv that's pretty close to how I told her to work on it and to teach 'enough' along with some redirection. Though I did 'dumb' it down a lot because it's her BF's dog so he's going to be the one dealing with it :p

I was more worried I was going to treat it like a obsessive behavior and it was actually a symptom of a medical issue

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Someone in our last obedience class has this issue with her dog and the trainer said the licking was a soothing behavior. Now, the dog in question was pretty timid so for THAT particular dog it makes sense; I'm sure that's not why ALL dogs do it. But the point that she drove home was that you can't punish it, because that usually just makes it worse, if indeed that's their way of soothing themselves (not that you'd recommend that but sometimes it can be easy to inadvertently punish).

So... I agree with redirecting it.

Doberluv

Yeah, it is often thought to be a submissive or appeasment gesture or a calming type signal, soothing thing or redirecting nervous energy. But I suspect there are other reasons besides...like maybe they just like to do it. LOL. Chuli loves licking the vinyl floor, especially when there's a little water splashed there, like after a shower or whatever. She's not appearing to be upset or nervous about anything...she just likes doing it.

Yeah, punishment will likely make them do it more, especially if they're doing it as a calming signal. Like the "leave it" skill, I find the "enough" to be really handy too....and versatile, once they get onto generalizing behaviors a little better.

My dad's chihuahua licks everything. Not all the time, but she'll really get into it and if she starts at your hand and you move away, she's perfectly happy carrying on on the couch cushion underneath. I just wanted to add that sometimes his is how she asks for a drink if she's upstairs or away from her water bowl. If you offer her water she'll drink and stop licking. I'm not sure if this is just a chihuahua thing, because her breeder told us about it.

Members online

No members online now.