Be honest - do you know these answers?

milos_mommy

Only 10% of the public supposedly know :

1. Who is the speaker of the house

Less than half or a third or something know these answers:

2. Can you name at least one supreme court justice?
3. Which party controls congress?
4. Who is YOUR congressional representative?

TBH I didn't know the last one at all. I named our US senator from NY by accident.

BostonBanker

Yes. I apparently wouldn't know #1 if he walked up and spit on me, because I had to ask who he was a week or two ago when I saw him on TV, but I knew his name. The name is just picked up from having new channels as background noise in the house a lot. I profess to ignorance about much else regarding the man.

I wasn't 100% sure on #2 (knew a name, looked it up to see if I was right).

I knew 3 and 4 easily. I generally know our state politics better than national.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Only 10% of the public supposedly know :

Less than half or a third or something know these answers:

3. Which party controls congress?
4. Who is YOUR congressional representative?

TBH I didn't know the last one at all. I named our US senator from NY by accident.
Boehner (or however you spell it?)
Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Republican
don't know but know how to find out LOL

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Nope. Kind of ashamed to admit that. We're in a state we don't plan on living in long term and aren't even registered to vote in this state (still are in IN) so local politics aren't even on my radar. And IN politics don't matter right now.

Federal has always kind of flown over my head, but right now it's even worse because we don't have TV, so no news. Just very apathetic about things at the moment.

BostonBanker

Ruth Bader Ginsberg
That is the one I know as well, and I've been sitting here trying to think WHY I know that name so well, because as I said, I mostly know state stuff and...

and I realized that I think I know it from Parks and Recreation. So that might actually count as a point against me rather than for me, from an education standpoint.

milos_mommy

I knew 7 out of 9 of the justices. I think the sad part is that I'm a poli sci major studying public policy in school and I know absolutely zero of those answers from attending college.

amberdyan

I knew all the answers, but I only knew 3 supreme court justices. I usually keep up with state politics as a school teacher, and I think I only knew the rest of the answers because I have friend who's super into politics.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I only knew the Supreme Court one because RBG is notorious around here. I also live just outside of DC and boyfriend is very into politics so he knew the answers.

Fran27

I had to learn that stuff during the US citizenship process, otherwise I would have had no clue, frankly.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
no, and i dont think any of those people hold any significant importance or power anyway. the real power is in money, and who controls the money controls all.

politics is just a puppet show.

milos_mommy

I had to learn that stuff during the US citizenship process, otherwise I would have had no clue, frankly.
Yup....most American-born citizens couldn't even put a dent in citizenship questions.

I don't know how I knew most of the justices. I know Scalia because of his lovely commentary during the Prop 8 nonsense...Sotomeyer and Hagen because they're from around here and I think both actually went to my former college...RBG because I think everyone knows her...Clarence Thomas because he's the only black justice, John Roberts because he's the Chief, and I have no idea why I know Alito. He must have been a swing vote for something I cared about at one point, lol.

Snark

Mutts to you
Knew all 4. Sometimes watch those 'ask the public questions' fluff bits (similar to Jay Leno's old Jaywalking schtick) and it's appalling how some people could identify a Kardashian before they could identity the Vice President or didn't know who we fought during the Revolutionary War...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
1. Yes.
2. Nope... can't think of a **** one.
3. Yes.
4. I thought I didn't - they did a bunch of redistricting and the guy it used to be is in another district now - but I looked up who it is now and was like "oh yeah." I actually voted for him. Whoops.

amberdyan

Knew all 4. Sometimes watch those 'ask the public questions' fluff bits (similar to Jay Leno's old Jaywalking schtick) and it's appalling how some people could identify a Kardashian before they could identity the Vice President or didn't know who we fought during the Revolutionary War...
That is terrifying. I can't name all of the justices, but I also don't think I would recognize a Kardashian if they hit me in the face.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I'm not much for politics but this is who I can remember. I credit knowing any of these to watching the daily show.

John Boehner - majority, Nancy Pelosi - Minority
Ginsberg - Roberts - Kennedy - Thomas - Sotomayore (sp?) - Kagan - and I forget the rest
3. Which party controls congress? Republicans
4. Who is YOUR congressional representative? National Larsen - State Hayes

Members online

No members online now.