broken tooth

birt

my dog broke a 4th premolar and first molar on the same side. has anybody had these teeth extracted. would my dog miss the teeth. would he chew bones or eat food (raw) on the extract side. i have the option to do a root canal but they costs a lot of money. Im curious to see how the extraction site looks all healed up to those who had the dogs teeth extracted. pics would be cool to see. any help would be great.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer had a broken molar that was removed last year along with some other teeth. She still eats kibble and chews bully sticks and raw bones just fine despite now having no upper teeth in the front. :) If you open her mouth yeah it looks like teeth are missing but otherwise you can't tell at all.

I would definitely get the teeth removed.

CaliTerp07

Lucy's had 3 or 4 teeth removed over the years, and still chows down like I'm starving her ;) Only difference is bully sticks take 10-15 minutes instead of 10-15 seconds!

Definitely get it removed. If it becomes infected it can be a big deal.

Saeleofu

My collie broke his premolar and had it removed and he does just fine. He even chews nylabones on that side (he doesn't get antlers anymore, as that's what he broke his tooth on in the first place).

birt

thank to all that replyed. im just worryed about extracting 2 of the biggest teeth in the mouth on one side.

SpringerLover

One of my dogs is missing PM3 & PM4 from two different incidents. She does have some sensitivity when chewing, but she is also 14.

My oldest guy lost a PM4 last year at almost 15. He's done fine since then regarding his mouth in generaly.

birt

what does the extraction site look like can you take a pic? thanks to all who replayed.

GingerKid

Yes. Please get it fixed. Your pup has already been living with a broken tooth for 6+ weeks. If you can't afford to do the root canal, have it extracted. Your dog will be fine.

Saeleofu

Yes. Please get it fixed. Your pup has already been living with a broken tooth for 6+ weeks. If you can't afford to do the root canal, have it extracted. Your dog will be fine.
This. It killed me to wait 3 1/2 days until my vet got back in town, I can't imagine letting it go this long. Yes, your dog will be sore for a couple weeks, and his face will be swollen for a couple weeks, but it's NOT a big deal long-term. He will still be able to eat. Just get it taken care of.

There's also every possibility that the tooth can't be saved once they go in for a root canal. Logan's tooth couldn't have been saved even if I wanted to.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Cricket split one of her big molars I'm guessing on an antler bone. She had to have it removed and you wouldn't know she has a big gaping hole there unless you looked for it. She eats just fine and has no problem chewing on chews. She loves her benebone, bully sticks, whimzees and knuckle bones.

birt

thanks skittledoo. do you think that you could take a dic of yor dogs extraction site. just curious to see what it looks like all heald

It will just look like normal gum tissue... with a gap between the teeth.

Here, I googled this in 15 seconds. Not my photo.

Your dog will be fine, just get him in to have it pulled, it's probably very painful.

Saeleofu

It will just look like normal gum tissue... with a gap between the teeth.

Here, I googled this in 15 seconds. Not my photo.

Your dog will be fine, just get him in to have it pulled, it's probably very painful.
That's exactly how Logan's looks (except his is on the top). It will be fine. Three out of four judges at the dog show this past weekend didn't even notice he was missing the biggest tooth on the show side of his mouth.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
That's what Kaylee's looks like. Broke hers on an antler too.

Seriously, antlers are bad news.

birt

thanks for the input everyone. does anybody else have any input. im leaning towards extraction. does anybody have any objections.

Members online

No members online now.