Dog wheelchairs

Cardi4851

Does anyone have experience with living with a dog in a wheelchair? My dog that stayed with my parents when I moved-out woke-up five days ago, walked three steps and fell over screaming. He was paralyzed. A vet did perform back surgery (not sure what they did since I am hearing this information from my parents rather than the vet). The surgeon seems very confident he will start using his legs within a month or so, but I want to prepare for the worst. My parents are older and uncertain about caring for a dog in a wheelchair. If they can't handle him he'll obviously come stay with me, but I'd rather not take him away from my parents. I am hoping if I can get some information about dealing with a handicapped dog it might help them prepare for some of the issues that may come-up.

Saeleofu

The only dogs I've known in wheelchairs have only been in them at the end of their life as a result of degenerative myelopathy. They did well in them, but of course long-term the disease made them unable to function even with a wheel chair.

You might urge your parents to find a place to do physical therapy with your dog to help him recover. One of my coworker's parent's dog had to have back surgery for the same reason, and after just several weeks of physical therapy you never would have guessed anything was ever wrong with him. His hair hasn't even grown back from surgery yet, and he walks without a limp or anything!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Stafinois has wheelchair experience that was extremely helpful for me when considering one for Shamoo. Hopefully she'll see this, I'll go nudge her.

Members online

No members online now.